Else Holmelund Minarik (September 13, 1920 – July 12, 2012) was the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which sold more than 6 million copies worldwide and were adapted for television.
Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!
Born in Denmark, Minarik and her family immigrated to the United States at the age of four. After graduating from Queens College, City University of New York she became a journalist for the Rome Daily Sentinel newspaper and taught first-graders during World War II. She lived on Long Island and later in Nottingham, New Hampshire. After the death of her second husband, Pulitzer-winning journalist Homer Bigart, Minarik moved to Brunswick County, North Carolina, where she continued writing longhand, as she always had.
Minarik died at home on July 12, 2012, aged 91.
- Little Bear (1957)
- Father Bear Comes Home (1959)
- Little Bear's Friend (1960)
- Little Bear's Visit (1961)
- A Kiss for Little Bear (1968)
- Little Bear and the Marco Polo (2010)
- No Fighting, No Biting! (1958) (illustrated by Maurice Sendak) (1958)
- Cat and Dog (illustrated by Fritz Siebel)
- Percy and the Five Houses (1989) (illustrated by James Stevenson)