Elsinore, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about a neighbourhood in the City of Edmonton. For other articles on places called Elsinore, see Elsinore (disambiguation)
Elsinore
Neighbourhood
Elsinore is located in Edmonton
Elsinore
Elsinore
Location of Elsinore in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°38′28″N 113°30′00″W / 53.641°N 113.500°W / 53.641; -113.500
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 3
Sector[2] North
Area[3][4] Castle Downs
Government[5]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Dave Loken
Area[6]
 • Total 0.84 km2 (0.32 sq mi)
Elevation 684 m (2,244 ft)
Population (2012)[7]
 • Total 2,149
 • Density 2,558.3/km2 (6,626/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Decrease-0.9%
 • Dwellings 763

Elsinore is a neighbourhood near the north end of the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is one of the neighbourhoods within the Edmonton district of Castledowns. To the north lies largely rural, undeveloped land within the Edmonton city limits. Also located a short distance north of the neighbourhood is Canadian Forces Base Edmonton.

The eastern boundary of the neighbourhood runs along 97 Street. This main artery extends all the way to downtown Edmonton to the south, and passes within a few city blocks of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) about half way between Elsinore and downtown. Canadian Forces Base Edmonton is located a short distance to the north of the city, with easy access along 97 Street.

Substantially all residences in the neighbourhood were built after 1985.[8]

According to the 2005 municipal census, 82% of the residences are single-family dwellings. The remaining 18% are duplexes.[9] Substantially all residences in the neighbourhood are owner-occupied.[8]

Roughly 40% of the residents have lived in the neighbourhood for five years or less.[10]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Elsinore had a population of 2,149 living in 763 dwellings,[7] a -0.9% change from its 2009 population of 2,169.[11] With a land area of 0.84 km2 (0.32 sq mi),[6] it had a population density of 2,558.3 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100". City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect". City of Edmonton. November 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  6. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  8. ^ a b http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/ELSINORE.pdf
  9. ^ Includes triplexes and quadruplexes.
  10. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05022B/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/ELSINORE.pdf
  11. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 

External links[edit]