|• ELURU M.P||Kavuri Sambhasiva Rao- Indian National Congress|
|• Eluru M.L.A||Alla Kali Krishna Srinivas (Alla Nani)- Indian National Congress|
|• Total||150 km2 (60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|• Density||17,167/km2 (44,460/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Eluru is a city and a municipal corporation in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the headquarters of West Godavari district and has the population of 515,000 (including Eluru Metropolitan Areas: Eluru, Eluru (R), Gavaravaram, Komadavole (Part), Sanivarapupeta, Satrampadu, Tangellamudi) according to the Census 2011. Eluru is situated on the national highway NH 5 connecting Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam and about 333 kilometres (207 mi) east of state capital, Hyderabad. Eluru was earlier called Helapuri and has a rich cultural and political history. It was believed to have been the capital of Vishnukundinas at one time. Kolleru Lake a big fresh water lake is found near Eluru.
It is known for its well established educational institutes like Sir C.R.Reddy College. It is the hub for the paddy, tobacco, coconut exports to all other parts of the state. It is well known for the carpets and incense sticks (Agaruvattulu అగరు వత్తులు in Telugu) exports to all over the country.
- 1 History
- 2 Climate
- 3 Topographical features
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Geography
- 6 Transportation
- 7 Education
- 7.1 St.Vincent DePaul Educational Institutions
- 7.2 Eluru
- 7.3 Sir C.R.R Educational Institutions
- 7.4 (K.P.R. & J.L)Siddhartha Vidyalaya
- 7.5 St. Theresa's Educational Institutions
- 7.6 Sree Bharathi Residential School
- 7.7 C.S.I. Educational Institutions
- 7.8 Divya Gnana Vidya Samithi institutions
- 7.9 St. Xavier's
- 7.10 Akshra Upper Primary School (EM)
- 7.11 Vestal institutions
- 8 Industries
- 9 Hospitals and diagnostic centers
- 10 Festivals
- 11 Notable residents
- 12 Pilgrimage sites
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
Helapuri (Eluru) was part of the Buddhist kingdom of Vengi. The Eastern Chalakyas ruled coastal Andhra from 700 to 1200, with Vengi, near the village of Pedavegi, as their capital. Historical evidence can be found at the villages of Pedavegi and Guntupalli (Jilakarragudem).
Eluru then became a part of the Kalinga Empire until 1471. Later it fell into the hands of the Gajapathis. In 1515 Srikrishnadevaraya captured it. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Kingdom, it was taken by the Sultan of Golkonda, Kutub Shah.
After the British established control over South India, Eluru and surrounding areas were merged into the Madras Presidency. During the division of Northern Cirkars into districts, Eluru was made a part of Machilipatnam district. Later, it was included in the Godavari District in 1859. Subsequently, Eluru was made part of the Krishna District. Finally, in the year 1925, West Godavari District was formed with Eluru as its Headquarters and all the district offices and regional offices were set up in Eluru city.
Eluru was upgraded from a municipality to corporation in April 2005 that eventually made it an well developed town. In the process some of the surrounding villages were merged in the city, raising the city's population to 285900
Eluru city falls in the hot humid region of the country and it is less than 40 miles (64 km) from Bay of Bengal. The climate of the city is very hot in the summers and it is pleasant during the winter. The hottest day falls in the month of May with shift to June during some years. The maximum temperature observed is 51.7 C and the minimum temperature observed is 12.9 C.
The city is situated on the border of the Kolleru Lake. The Tammileru river passes through the city. The Eastern part of Tammileru borders the entire North of the city, while the Western Tammileru flows to the West of the city. The Krishna – Eluru canal passes through the heart of the city from South – West towards North – East.
The Godavari - Eluru canal, The Krishna – Eluru canal and the Tammileru River and join together at the border of Eluru in a village called Malkapuram (Palagudem) on their way to Kolleru Lake.
- Tammileru River
It originates from the reserve forests near Palvoncha in Khammam district. It traverses a distance of almost 200 km (120 mi) through Khammam, Krishna and West Godavari Districts before emptying itself into the Kolleru lake. Tammileru divides into two streams near FCI godowns and joins the lake at two different points — Mondikodu and Pedayadlagadi.
As per provisional data of 2011 census, Eluru urban agglomeration had a population of 515,000, out of which males were 260,000 and females were 255,000. The literacy rate was 75.98 per cent. Eluru municipal corporation had a population of 327,533.
- The population of the city increased from 33,521 in 1901 to 3,12,866 in 1991 registering a growth of 65% during the period from 1901 to 1991.
- The literacy rate of the city has been 72% as per 1991 census.
- The city recorded a growth rate of 26.63% during 1981–91.
- In 2001 the population increased slightly to 215,642.
- In the middle of the year 2005 the city has the population of around 150,000. In 2009 its about 2,11400.
- The population of the city has increased to 515,000 as per 2011 census.
Eluru is located at. It has an average elevation of 22 metres (72 feet). It is a small and colorful city, with Krishna-Godavari Canal slicing the town into two parts, One Town and Two Town. Distances to other Major Cities and Towns:
- Delhi 1,818 km (1,130 mi)
- Mumbai 1,043 km (648 mi)
- Kolkata 1,173 km (729 mi)
- Chennai 515 km (320 mi)
- Bangalore 681 km (423 mi)
- Hyderabad 333 km (207 mi)
- Visakhapatnam 293 km (182 mi)
- Vijayawada 58 km (36 mi)
- Khammam 135 km
- Guntur 75 km (47 mi)
- Tadepalligudem 50 km (31 mi)
- Bhimavaram 50 km (31 mi)
- Bhimadole 22 km
- Khandrika Narasimhapuram (bhimadole) 18 km
Eluru is well connected to most cities and towns in Andhra Pradesh by the state road transport corporation APSRTC. The city is situated at a distance of 60 km North East of Vijayawada, on the National Highway 5 (which connects Chennai and Kolkatta). Numerous buses run by private bus owners like Sree Kaleswari Travels, Kesineni Travels, Sai Krishna Travels, etc. cut across the city on a regular basis, especially from Hyderabad and Bangalore. The distance between Hyderabad and Eluru is about 330 km, with direct buses and indirect buses via Vijayawada running throughout the day. Eluru is situated at a distance of 90 km from rajahmundry, 70 km from Narsapur, 75 km from Tanuku, 61 km from Bhimavaram, 50 km from Jangareddy Gudem and 51 km from Tadepalligudem. The city is accessible by train and bus and there are frequent buses from Narsapur, Palakollu, Tadepalligudem, Tanuku and Jangareddy gudem. There are buses running every 20 mins or less from Vijayawada. NH 5, part of the golden quadrilateral (i.e., Kolkata to Chennai), passes through Eluru. From Eluru connect to the total State like Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Khammam, Vishakhapatnam, Tirupati, Puttaparti, Rajahmundry, Bhadrachalam, Dwaraka Tirumala (Chinna Tirupati), and some other states like Bengaluru (Karnataka), Chennai (Tamil Nadu). This link OLd Bus Station http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=25ea83a3838009982b03e33a0ecf1473&prevstart=0
The broad gauge Visakhapatnam-Vijayawada section of the Howrah-Chennai main line on the east coast connecting Madras and Kolkata passes through the city. There are daily express and passenger trains to Hyderabad, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore etc., throughout the day. The major railway stations in Eluru are Eluru railway station, Power Pet Station, Vatluru Station with Eluru Station being the biggest and busiest. Eluru station is located exactly halfway between Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam, which is the busiest line in Andhra Pradesh.
See This Link 3d model Railway Station with google Earth softwere http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=dd38ce086f951b962b03e33a0ecf1473&prevstart=24
see the photo of the powerpet railway station attached here...
Gannavaram, Vijayawada is the nearest airport (40 km). Kingfisher, Jet Airways, Spicejet and Air India operates regular flights from Hyderabad, Bangalore, New Delhi via Hyderabad and Chennai to Gannavaram.
Some of the major Educational Groups in Eluru are as follows:
St.Vincent DePaul Educational Institutions
This is one of the best institutions in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It was established in the year of 1990s. De Paul Degree&PG Colleges- situated in a sprawling campus in the serene, quiet atmosphere of Duggirala, Eluru - is a unique Catholic Missionary institution known for its personal focus in awakening knowledge and imparting skills in aspiring young minds. Founded on the biblical values and Vincentian principles of equal opportunities and access for everyone, we remain committed to providing quality education through special care and concern.
- St. Vincent DePaul Inter College
- St. Vincent DePaul Degree College
- St. Vincent DePaul P.G College
Eluru College of Engineering & Technology into an Institution of Global standards catering to the educational needs of students and also contribute to the welfare of local Community.
Sir C.R.R Educational Institutions
This is one of the institutions in the State of Andhra Pradesh. It was established in the early 1930s. Some of the famous alumni from this institution include Superstar Krishna, Murali Mohan, Sobhan Babu etc. It has been accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council NAAC- with Grade A. This institution has been projected to grow into a deemed university in a few years.
The institution governs:
- Public School
- P.G. College
- B. Ed. College
- Women's College
- Polytechnic College
- Engineering Coll
- B Pharmacy College
(K.P.R. & J.L)Siddhartha Vidyalaya
This is one of the important institutions, It was established in the early 1990s Nearly 3 branch in eluru city and out side 3 more branch. Managing director Koneru sureshbabu, koneru vijaya lakshmi admin office: siddartha vidhalya, Vidyakokila building, strampadu village, eluru. phone:08812-224481/82
- Public School
- High School
- Junior College
- Degree College
St. Theresa's Educational Institutions
- Elementary School
- High School
- Junior College
- Degree College and pg and phd Collage
- P.G. College
Sree Bharathi Residential School
Its one of the famous educational institute in the Eluru city. It was Managed by Annapaneni Ravi Kumar. It has many branches in and around of the Eluru. The main Office of it was Santhi Nagar, 7th Lane, Eluru.
C.S.I. Educational Institutions
One of famous the educational institutions in the Eluru City. Managed by the Church of South India, Krishna-Godavari Diocese. Institutions Managed by C S I, KG-diocese at Eluru are
- C S I English Medium School (From LKG to TENTH STANDARD)
- C S I Alexander Girls High School
Divya Gnana Vidya Samithi institutions
- K.P.D.T. High Schools
- S.P.D.B.T. Junior College
- St. Xavier's Elementary School (Coeducational convent) (EM & TM)
- St. Xavier's High School (EM & TM) (only for Boys)
- St. Xavier's ITI (Polytechnic & Vocational Courses)
Akshra Upper Primary School (EM)
- Akshara Upper Primary School, English Medium
Two Temples street Agraharam One Town Eluru-534001 Phone Numbers: Land Line: 08812 241024 Mobile Phone: 9492813445
Vestal Institutions are promoted by NRIs and Industrialists. These institutions are located on NH5 near Vatluru. managed by veera swami as secretary
- VSRI Computer Education - Vegesna Suryanarayana Raju Institute of Computer Education, well known institute exclusively for M C A. It is located 2 km (1.2 mi) from Eluru Railway Station and near to Palagudem (Malkapuram).
In addition to the above mentioned educational institutions, many private residential junior colleges, high schools and technical institutions are present in Eluru and thousands of students from various places of the District and State study in these institutions every year.
The city of Eluru is internationally famous for Persian carpets. It is also well known for hand rolled agarabathis, and the hair and jute industries. The upland areas of West Godavari District like Jangareddigudem, Chintalapudi, etc., are now harnessing the ground water and financially became sound, due to the cultivation of rich commercial crops like Tobacco, Palm-Oil, Cocoa etc., Eluru is the major commercial centre for all these areas. It also consists of many wood industries
Eluru carpets and Eluru handlooms
Eluru is famous for its thriving woolen pile carpet industry. The Persians who migrated to this part of the world during the Muhammaddin regime have developed the carpet industry. Most of the carpets produced here are exported. You can find few of these industries in Tangellamudi, Eluru. Moody Carpets, Eluru, Hafeez Carpets is one of the famous among carpet industries, they export their Handmade woolen carpets mostly to Australia and USA.
Ambica group of industries
The Corporate Office of the Ambica Group of Industries is at Eluru. This group manufactures Ambica Agarbathi (incense sticks), Cosmetics, and other aromatic products, ships to all places in the Country and exports them as well. This group has also entered into the Film Production and distribution, Hospitality Industry, Wind Energy and Software development. Directly or indirectly around 5,000 people are dependent on this Group.
East India Commercial Co. Ltd's also called as Sri Krishna jute mill Jute Industry is one of the major industries in Eluru and kotturu City. This industry buys locally grown jute as well as imports raw jute from other States and manufactures varied Jute products which are then transported and sold in different parts of the state and the country. Close to 10,000 people are dependent on this industry.
The Gupta Group is mainly an export-oriented industry. They export human hair, cattle horn-tips, and carpets to different countries. Many people are dependent on this Industry too. M/S. Gupta Enterprises has been receiving the Top Exporters Award from the Govt. of India for the past 19 Years consecutively. The hair collected all over India is processed at Eluru and is exported to over 35 Countries. Mr. M. M. Gupta the founder Chairman has also founded the Gupta Foundation which does many Social service and Charity oriented products including Medical Help, Educational Assistance etc. A Bi-Annual award the "Gupta Award" is also presented to distinguished personalities and eminent people from Various Fields.
Eluru has many human hair exporting companies and also large quantities of sweet water fish nearly 300 trucks everyday from Eluru to various places like Bengal, Assam and north east states. Green chillies are exporting to maharastra, coconuts and water coconuts mainly to all over state everyday. There are many paddy dealers who export paddy to all over India, which is bought from farmers from nearby villages like kovvali, Denduluru, pallagudem etc.
Hospitals and diagnostic centers
- Eluru Government District Hospital - This is a government hospital and acts as the "District Main Hospital". The hospital is centrally located in Eluru with a capacity of 350 beds. People from all corners of the district visit the hospital for medical treatment.
- Alluri Sitarama Raju Academy of Medical Sciences (ASRAMS) - One of the Teaching Hospital in Eluru is Alluri Sitarama Raju Academy of Medical Sciences (ASRAMS), Alluri Sitaramaraju Academy of Medical Sciences was named after the famous patriot Alluri Sitaramaraju. The Medical College and the attached Teaching Hospital were established in 1999 as a non profit society. The College and Hospital are located in a vast area of about 100 acres. The campus is located adjacent to National Highway no.5. It is 3 km from Eluru Railway station and 35 km from Gannavaram (Vijayawada) airport. Within a span of just ten years, the ASRAM Medical College has emerged as a pioneering Medical College with excellent teaching and research facilities in Coastal Andhra Pradesh. It is now the first choice for many young aspiring doctors. The attached teaching Hospital is serving the needs of sick patients belonging to the West Godavari district and the neighboring districts of East Godavari, Khammam and Krishna.
Apart from these, there are a large number of privately owned clinics and diagnostic centers that handle simple to lesser complex cases. Complex issues are generally referred to larger hospitals and to Vijayawada and Hyderabad.
- Vengi Ustsav - The Vengi Ustsav will be held at Eluru. The festival would also be held at Pedavegi, the once capital of Vengi kings, and Patteseema, an * Pedintlamma Theerdham
Kolletikota situated in the middle of the Kolleru Lake has got a temple of the local deity. Every year thousands of people visit the temple on a particular day during the annual 'Jatara'.
- Bhaleve Theerdham
- Sri Math chowdeswari samethe Ramalingeswara swami Kartikimasochavalu (pethebadha)
- Sir Ganganamma jathara Every year Palguna sudha pwornami @ (Pethebad)&
- Ganganamma Jathara - Ganganamma jathara is celebrated only in Eluru. This is one of the famous festival in Eluru celebrated by Eluru people every 12 years. Praying Goddess Gangalamma around 90 days. The last three days of this jathara is very famous, and the Uthsav Radh was pulled by the particular religious people.
- Sri Adhimahalakshmi Amavari Temple, Padamara Veedhi. This temple has 200 years history. Every 12 years here celebrated festival (in telegu Jatara) it is most famous jatara in India. It has 300 years history.
- Kommareddi Suryanarayana - Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha member in Indian Parliament, Indian freedom activist and Gandhian
- Garapaty Satyanarayana - A veteran freedom fighter and legislator and the first elected Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Eluru constituency.
- Silk Smitha - Indian Film Actress
- Kalagara Ram Babu - Telugu film Director and Producer, was born in the royal family of Kalagara and Jasti zamindari, The royal family belonged to the Kamma (Chowdhary) community.
- Duvvuri Subbarao, Current governor of the Reserve Bank Of India, was born and studied primary schooling at Eluru
- L.V. Prasad, born at Soma-vara-padu, in Eluru Taluk in Andhra Pradesh, India. Born into an agricultural family, Prasad became a major figure in Indian cinema and founder of one of India's leading film studios, Prasad Labs.
- Krishna Ghattamaneni a noted Telugu film actor better known as Krishna studied in prestigious C.R.R. College in Eluru. Krishna played an active role in various cultural events organized by his college. During Rajiv Gandhi times, he was inclined towards Indian National Congress (INC) and won from the Eluru constituency as a Member of Parliament
- Murali Mohan a movie artiste who completed more than 200 films, a real estate baron, an entrepreneur, and a good actor and producer. He was recently elected the President of the Telugu Movie Artists Association (MAA). He was born and brought up in Chataparru near Eluru. He studied in Chataparru and then in Eluru CRR College.
- Alla Nani
- Sai Mandir eastren Street estd-1946
- Dwaraka Tirumala
- Nam Datta Kshetram
- CSI Church
- Diocese of Eluru
- Venkateswaraswamy Temple RRPeta
- Jaalapaharaeswaraswamy Temple
- Vatlur Saibaba Temple
- Ambikadevi Temple Satrampadu
- Saibaba Temple RRPeta
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Election Commission of India, Election Reports 1951, .