Elyria Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Elyria Township, Lorain County, Ohio|
Municipalities of Lorain County, Ohio
|• Total||5.6 sq mi (14.5 km2)|
|• Land||5.6 sq mi (14.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||741 ft (226 m)|
|• Density||583.8/sq mi (225.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086509|
Located in northern Lorain County, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Sheffield Township - north
- Elyria - east
- Carlisle Township - south
- New Russia Township - southwest corner
- Amherst Township - west
- Lorain - northwest
No municipalities are located in Elyria Township, other than the city of Elyria, which has annexed the majority of the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 188. Retrieved 12 December 2013.