||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|Born||Elyse Marie Sewell
June 10, 1982
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||114 lb (52 kg; 8.1 st)|
|Dress size||(US) 4 ; (EU) 34|
|Manager||Wilhelmina Models, M4 Models, Q6 Models, Dream Models, Elite Models|
Elyse Marie Sewell (born June 10, 1982) is an American fashion model. She is best known for her appearance as a contestant in the first cycle of the reality television series America's Next Top Model.
Elyse was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sewell obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of New Mexico. Additionally, Sewell worked as a research assistant in an evolutionary biology lab.
America's Next Top Model
Sewell's start in modeling came with her appearance on the first cycle of America's Next Top Model. Sewell was known on the show as the "edgy pre-med student". Sewell placed third, after Adrianne Curry and Shannon Stewart.
In 2005, one of her "confessional" clips from the show, in which she started a profanity-laden rant against the people on the show, earned her 16th place on E!'s Most Outrageous TV Moments. She attributes this outburst to the unusual requirement on the show to voice one's private thoughts and to soliloquize in a "confessional booth".
While on the show, she said that she would be going off to medical school if she did not win the competition.
After America's Next Top Model
Although she did not win, she has since carved out a successful modeling career in Asia, working mainly in Hong Kong. She has had print advertisements for Chanel and Chow Sang Sang Jewelry and appeared on the cover of Harper's Bazaar Hong Kong. Despite Tyra Banks' hope that Sewell would come to see that modeling was not as easy as it was often made out to be, Sewell continued to insist that it was the "easiest job in the world".
In 2004, Sewell started a LiveJournal blog about her experiences of modeling overseas. She published a book called Beauty and The Biz: The International Adventures of America's Third-to-Next Top Model in Hong Kong in 2006 based in part on her (now abandoned) blog. She appeared in multiple book signings across Hong Kong. Her other writing credits include a satirical piece for Bust Magazine on how to be a reality TV star, as well as posts for the website Lemondrop.
Sewell was in a relationship with Martin Crandall, who was a member of the American band The Shins at the time. In January 2008, it was reported that the two were involved in a domestic dispute that resulted in both of them being arrested.
- "Profile of fashion model Elyse Sewell". Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- "2005's 10 Sexiest Geeks". Wired. December 27, 2005.
- Elyse Sewell (2006). Beauty and The Biz: The International Adventures of America's Third-to-Next Top Model. SCMP Book Publishing Limited. p. 15. ISBN 962-17-9037-9.
- America's Next Top Model Cycle 1, UPN
- Elyse Sewell (2006). Beauty and The Biz: The International Adventures of America's Third-to-Next Top Model. SCMP Book Publishing Limited. ISBN 962-17-9037-9.
- Sewell, E. "Reality Check" Bust Magazine Spring 2004
- Elyse Sewell's LiveJournal
- Elyse Sewell at the Fashion Model Directory
- Elyse Sewell at the Internet Movie Database
- Sewell Elyse TV.com profile