July 1, 1905|
Bodipalem, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh
|Died||1972 (aged 67)
|Other names||Canon Sambayya|
|Church||Church of North India|
Early life and education
In 1949, Sambayya was sent to the Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York for post-graduate studies in Moral Theology. In the continuing year, he was awarded an S.T.M.. Sambayya's post-graduate dissertation was entitled The Eucharistic doctrine of Richard Hooker and Herbert Throndike
Emani Sambayya first served as the Secretary of the Student Christian Movement and was based in Allahabad from 1935 - 1938.
In 1939, he was Deacon at Christ Church, Byculla. In the succeeding year, he was ordained as a Minister of the Anglican Church in India.
Emani Sambayya, although baptized into Methodism, chose to get ordained as an Anglican Priest. In Anglicanism, he felt a sense of togetherness as it was a mix of Catholic and Reformed traditions. Kevin Ward in A History of Global Anglicanism mentions this particular aspect which Sambayya endorsed.
Inspired by Anglicanism, Sambayya wrote The Genius of the Anglican Communion in 1948.
From 1941 through 1968, Sambayya taught Theology at Bishop's College, Kolkata. He was first made a Lecturer in 1941 replacing Rev. John William Sadiq. In 1949, he was sent to the Union Theological Seminary in the city of New York for post-graduate studies in Moral Theology.
During the period at Bishop's College, Sambayya's articles began appearing in the Indian Journal of Theology.
- The Eucharistic Doctrine of Richard Hooker and Herbert Throndike (1950).
- Faith and Conduct: An Introduction to Moral Theology, Christian Students Library, Chennai, 1965.
Senate of Serampore
Retirement and death
- Rev. Dr. B. V. Subbamma
- Rev. Yisu Das Tiwari
- Bishop N. D. Ananda Rao Samuel
- Rev. Fr. Dr. D. S. Amalorpavadass
- Bishop Victor Premasagar
- Alumni Directory 1836 - 1970, The Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, The Alumni Office, New York, 1970. p. 321. 
- Cecil Hargreaves, Three Assignments in the Church, Indo-British Review, Indo-British Historical Society, Chennai, 1988. p.52. 
- Calcutta Municipal Gazette, Calcutta Municipal Corporation, Kolkata, 1972. p.125. 
- Geoffrey Rowell, Kenneth Stevenson (Eds.), Love's Redeeming Work: The Anglican Quest for Holiness, Oxford University Press, 2003. pp. 696-697. 
- Emani Sambayya, The Eucharistic doctrine of Richard Hooker and Herbert Throndike, New York, 1950. 
- Kevin Ward, A History of Global Anglicanism, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Emani Sambayya, The Genius of Anglican Communion in E. R. Morgan and Roger Lloyd (Eds.), The Mission of the Anglican Communion, London, SPCK and SPG, 1948. pp. 18-29. Cited by Kevin Ward, A History of Global Anglicanism, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Bishop's College, Calcutta 1820 - 1970, Bishop's College, Kolkata, 1970.
- Union Seminary Quarterly Review, Union Theological Seminary in the city of New York, 1949. p. 45. 
- Emani Sambayya, Touching the Untouchables, Indian Journal of Theology, 1956 (January to March), pp. 9-14. Cited in International Review of Mission, World Council of Churches Commission on World Mission and Evangelism, International Missionary Council, 1956. p.370. 
- Emani Sambayya, The Christian Message and the Non-Christian Religions, Indian Journal of Theology, Serampore, 1958 (January to March), pp.12-18. Cited by Joseph Houldsworth Oldham in International Review of Mission, World Council of Churches Commission on World Mission and Evangelism, International Missionary Council. p.374. 
- Sankar Ray, The William Carey Library in Serampore, Business Line, The Hindu, Friday April 11, 2008. Internet, accessed October 17, 2008. 
- Senate of Serampore College (University), List of the Recipients of the degree of Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa). 
- Senate of Serampore College (University), Presidents and Convenors of the Senate. 
- Bishop's College, Kolkata (1970). Bishop's College, Calcutta, 1820 - 1970.
- John William Sadiq (1984). Surprised by Love.
- A. Frank Thompson (1997). The Bairagi Madonna: Leaves from a Calcutta Notebook.
S. J. Samartha
|President, Senate of Serampore College (University)
A. K. Mundle