March 7, 1969|
|Occupation||Modern dance choreographer|
Emanuel Gat is an Israeli choreographer of contemporary dance.
Emanuel Gat was born in 1969 in Israel. He discovers dance at the age of 23, after a workshop for amateurs, led by choreographer Nir Ben Gal. He starts working at this period with Liat Dror Nir Ben Gal Company, as well as on his own projects. He created in 1994 his first solo, « Four Dances » on Bach’s music. In 2003, he receives the Rosenblum Award for Performing Arts and in 2004, the Landau’s Award. This year of 2004, Emanuel Gat funds his company, at Suzanne Dellal Center, « Emanuel Gat Dance ». Still in 2004, He creates « Winter voyage » and « The Rite of Spring » that will be premiered for the first time in France at Uzes Dance festival. The program will know a huge success, and tour more than 300 times over the world. In 2006 this program is rewarded by a Bessie Award after its presentation at Lincoln Center, in New York. In 2007, He creates « 3for2007 », composed of three pieces : a solo danced by Emanuel on a music of John Coltrane « My favourite Things » ; a duet « Petit torn de dança » and a group composition for 8 dancers on a music of Squarepushers « Through the Center ». This year, he leaves Israel and settles his company in France, in Maison Intercommunale de la Danse, in Istres. « Silent Ballet », a pièce in silence for 8 dancers is the first to be created in France. It was premiered in Montpellier for Montpellier Danse festival in 2008. In 2009, Emanuel Gat asked his long-time partner Roy Assaf to share the stage with him. They created an hour-long duet, "Winter variations", also premiered at Montpellier Danse Festival. In 2011, he renews with group piece and creates a choreography for 10 dancers « Brilliant corners » for which he also composes the music, a first time. The pièce is premiered in Venice for « Biennale di Venezia » and is still touring.
Emanuel Gat is regularly invited by dance companies to create pieces or to set his work. The last years, he was guest choreographer for: Opéra de Paris, Sydney Dance Company, Ballet de Marseille, Ballet du Grand Theatre de Genève, among others.
Works since 1994
- 1994 : Four Dances
- 1996 : Polipopipop
- 2003 : Ana wa Enta and Two Stupid Dogs
- 2004 : The Rite of Spring and Winter voyage’'
- 2006 : K626
- 2007 : 3for2007 composed of My Favorite Things, Petit torn de dança Through the center.
- 2007 : "Trotz dem alten Drachen" / Tanztheater Bremen
- 2008 : Windungen for Suresnes Cités Danse.
- 2008 : Silent Ballet and Sixty Four
- 2009 : Hark !'created at Opéra national de Paris
- 2009 : Winter Variations
- 2010 : "In Translation" / Candoco dance company
- 2010 : "Satisfying Musical Moments"/ Sydney Dance Company
- 2010 : "Observation Action" / Ballet du Rhin
- 2010 : "The Revised and Updated Bremen Structures" / Tanztheater Bremen
- 2011 : Brilliant Corners
- 2011 : "Preludes & Fugues" / Ballet du Grand Theatre of Geneve
- 2012 : Organizing Demons / Ballet National de Marseille
- 2012 : Corner Etudes / Emanuel Gat Dance
- 2012 : It's people, how abstract can it get ? / Emanuel Gat Dance
- 2012 : Danses de Cour / Emanuel Gat Dance
- 2012 : Morgan's Last Chug / Los Angeles Dance Project
- 2012 : Time Themes / Royale Swedish Ballet
- 2013 : The Goldlandbergs / Emanuel Gat Dance
- 2003 : Rosenblum Award for Performing Arts
- 2004 : Landau Awaed
- 2005 : Israel Cultural Excellence Foundation IcExcellence
- 2006 : Bessie Award for « Winter voyage » and « The Rite of Spring »