|Traded as||TSX: EMA|
|Headquarters||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Key people||Christopher G. Huskilson (CEO)|
Emera Incorporated is a Halifax, Nova Scotia based energy and services company with $7.8 billion in assets and 2012 revenues of $2.1 billion. Emera's President and CEO is Christopher G. Huskilson, and its Executive Vice President and COO is Rob Bennett. The company invests in electricity generation, transmission and distribution,and gas transmission and utility energy services. As of August 2013 the Emera group of companies has over 3000 employees, the majority of which are in its home province of Nova Scotia. Emera’s largest wholly owned utility, Nova Scotia Power Incorporated, has 1,800 employees and approximately 488,000 customers.
Emera was created out of the privatization of the provincial Crown corporation Nova Scotia Power Incorporated (NSPI). On December 2, 1998, NSPI shareholders voted to restructure the company to create a holding company which would be shareholder-owned, with the regulated utility being a wholly owned subsidiary of the holding company. On December 9, 1998, NSPI received approval to establish NS Power Holdings Incorporated and NSPI shareholders exchanged their shares in NSPI for shares in NS Power Holdings Inc. on a one-to-one basis on January 1, 1999. Common shares in NS Power Holdings Inc. began trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange and Montreal Stock Exchange on January 6, 1999. The NS Power Holdings Inc. name was changed to Emera Incorporated on July 17, 2000.
- Nova Scotia Power Incorporated
- Bangor Hydro Electric Company and Maine Public Service
- Emera Caribbean
- Emera Energy
- Emera Utility Services
- Emera New Brunswick
- Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline
- Emera Newfoundland and Labrador
- OpenHydro Group Ltd.
- Atlantic Hydrogen Inc.
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
- Northeast Wind
- "Company Profile for Emera Incorporated (CA;EMA)". Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- Emera Corporate Overview. http://www.snl.com/irweblinkx/corporateprofile.aspx?iid=4072693. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- About Us - Who We Are. http://www.nspower.ca/en/home/aboutnspower/whoweare/default.aspx. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Emera - Our Investments. http://www.emera.com/en/home/ourbusiness/corporatestructure/default.aspx. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Emera - News Release Details. http://www.emera.com/en/home/mediacentre/archivedpressreleases/2012/newsreleasedetails.aspx?SourceParams=reqid-1766013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.