The Emerald Society is an organization of American police officers or fire fighters of Irish heritage. Emerald Societies are found in most major U.S. cities such as New York City, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, WI, Jersey City, NJ, District of Columbia, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minnesota , Colorado. Federal law enforcement officers such as Special Agents and Customs and Border Protection officers and who are of Irish/Gaelic descent are eligible to join the Emerald Society of the Federal Law Enforcement Agencies.
The organization known as the National Conference of Law Enforcement Emerald Societies (NCLEES) states that its objectives are:
- To Unite all public safety Emerald Societies in order to develop fraternalism amongst its members.
- To preserve the Irish culture and to promote the contributions of our ancestors.
- To recognize the accomplishments of Irish-Americans in Law Enforcement and other public safety professions.
- To exchange information and enhance communications among member organizations and to start new public safety Emerald Societies.
- To provide a unified and effective voice for its member organizations to the Congress of the United States and other government institutions.
- To work with civic and public safety associations on areas of mutual concerns.
While the organization is geared toward Irish-American culture, Irish heritage is not listed as a requirement for membership.
- National Conference of Law Enforcement Emerald Societies official website
- Emerald Society of Los Angeles, PIPES & DRUMS official website
- Emerald Society of Los Angeles, CA official website
- Emerald Society of Washington, DC official website
- Emerald Society of Wisconsin official website
- Emerald Society of Illinois official website
- Emerald Society of Minnesota
- Emerald Society of the Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|