Emergence International (EI) is a worldwide community of Christian Scientists (not to be confused with Scientology) and their families and friends, with the purpose of supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people and to advocate for change in the Christian Science movement.
Mission and name
The name derives from a quote by Mrs. Eddy: "Emerge gently from matter into Spirit. Think not to thwart the spiritual ultimate of all things, but come naturally into Spirit through better health and morals and as the result of spiritual growth."
By the late 1970s, groups of GLBT Christian Scientists were meeting in no fewer than six cities in the United States and United Kingdom. The first conference for representatives from some of these groups met in Chicago in 1983. Following a second conference in 1985, several participants decided to develop a national identity for gay Christian Scientists and Emergence International was born.
The organization hosts an annual conference where papers, workshops, and a unique worship service are presented. Conferences are held in various cities in the United States.
- Homosexuality and Christianity
- List of Christian denominational positions on homosexuality
- List of Christian Science tenets, prayers, and statements
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy p. 485
- Bruce Stores. Christian Science: Its Encounter with Lesbian/Gay America. ISBN 0-595-32620-X
- Emergence International — official website