Emily (Thomas & Friends)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Thomas & Friends character|
|First appearance||"Emily's New Coaches"|
|Created by||Jan Page|
|Portrayed by||Jules de Jongh (US)
Teresa Gallagher (UK)
Emily the Stirling Engine 2003-current (Series 7-current) is a fictional anthropomorphic steam locomotive from the television series Thomas & Friends. She was the first female steam engine to be featured in the television series, and is the only female member of the "Steam Team", the eight core characters of the series. She is painted dark green, and has large driving wheels and a shiny brass safety valve cover.
When she first arrived on the Island of Sodor, she took Thomas's coaches Annie and Clarabel by mistake, much to Thomas' dismay. However after she rescued Thomas and Oliver from an accident, Thomas forgave her. The Fat Controller rewarded her with two coaches of her own. From Season 8 onwards she has been depicted as a rather bossy character, which can make her difficult to work with at times. She is sometimes a "big sister" figure to the smaller engines like Thomas and Percy. She speaks with a Scottish accent in the U.K narration, and in the U.S narration she speaks with an American accent
Emily is the only member of the Steam Team who does not appear in the Railway Series, the books that form the basis of the television series, and she is also the only member in the Steam Team not to be created by the Rev. W. Awdry. She was a relatively late addition to the TV series, arriving in Series 7.
Emily is based on a Stirling 4-2-2 of the Great Northern Railway. These locomotives were used on high-speed express services from York to London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Great Northern Railway used a dark emerald green livery on their locomotives similar to that carried by Emily.
Since arriving on Sodor, Emily has appeared in many stories. The following is a list of the episodes in which Emily is the main character:
- "Emily's New Coaches" (Series 7, episode 1)– Emily's arrival on the railway
- "Thomas, Emily and the Snowplough" (Series 8, episode 8)
- "Emily's New Route" (Series 8, episode 10)
- "As Good As Gordon" (Series 8, episode 18)
- "Emily's Adventure" (Series 8, episode 19)
- "Emily Knows Best" (Series 9, episode 17)
- "Emily and the Special Coaches"/"Emily and the Special Cars" (Series 10, episode 21)
- "Emily's Rubbish"/"Emily And The Garbage" (Series 11, episode 2)
- "Excellent Emily" (Series 12, episode 8)
- "A Blooming Mess" (Series 13, episode 12)
- "Pingy Pongy Pick Up" (Series 14, episode 3)
- "Emily and Dash" (Season 15, episode 3)
- "Emily's Winter Party Special" (Season 16, episode 14)
- Stead, E: Thomas to the Rescue, Egmont, 2010.