Emily (Thomas & Friends)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Thomas & Friends character|
|First appearance||"Emily's New Coaches"|
|Created by||Jan Page
|Voiced by||Teresa Gallagher (UK)
Jules de Jongh (US)
Emily the Stirling Engine is a fictional anthropomorphic steam locomotive from the television series Thomas & Friends. She was the first female steam engine to be featured in the television series, and is the only female member of the "Steam Team", the eight core characters of the series. She is painted dark-green and has large driving wheels and a shiny brass safety valve cover.
She arrived on Sodor in 2003 in the Thomas and Friends Series 7 episode: "Emily's New Coaches".
When she first arrived on the Island of Sodor, she took Thomas's coaches Annie and Clarabel by mistake, much to Thomas' dismay. However, after she rescued Thomas and Oliver from an accident, Thomas forgave her and The Fat Controller rewarded her with two coaches of her own. From Season 8 to season 11, she has been depicted as a rather bossy character (which can make her difficult to work with at times) but since Season 12, she became very kind. She is sometimes a "big sister" figure to the smaller engines like Thomas and Percy. She speaks with a Scottish accent in the U.K. narration of the series while in the U.S narration, she speaks with an American accent.
Emily is the only member of the Steam Team who does not appear in The Railway Series—the series of books that have formed the basis of the television series, and she is also the only member in the Steam Team who was not created by the Rev. W. Awdry. She was a relatively late addition to the TV series, arriving in Series 7.
Emily is based on a Stirling 4-2-2 of the Great Northern Railway. These locomotives were used on high-speed express services from York to London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Great Northern Railway used a dark emerald green livery on their locomotives similar to that carried by Emily.
Since arriving on Sodor, Emily has appeared in many episodes. The following is a list of the episodes in which Emily appeared in as a Main character:
- "Emily's New Coaches" (Season 7, episode 1) – Emily's arrival on Sodor.
- "What's the Matter with Henry?" (Series 7, episode 6)
- "Salty's Stormy Tale" (Series 7, episode 13)
- "Bulgy Rides Again" (Series 7, episode 19)
- "Thomas, Emily and the Snowplough" (Season 8, episode 8)
- "Emily's New Route" (Series 8, episode 10)
- "Spic and Span" (Series 8, episode 13)
- "As Good As Gordon" (Series 8, episode 18)
- "Emily's Adventure" (Series 8, episode 19)
- "Halloween" (Series 8, episode 20)
- "Emily Knows Best" (Series 9, episode 17)
- "Emily and the Special Coaches"/"Emily and the Special Cars" (Series 10, episode 21)
- "Emily's Rubbish"/"Emily And The Garbage" (Series 11, episode 2)
- "Excellent Emily" (Series 12, episode 8)
- "Rosie's Funfair Special"/"Rosie's Carnival Special" (Series 12, episode 3)
- "A Blooming Mess" (Series 13, episode 12)
- "Pingy Pongy Pick Up" (Series 14, episode 3)
- "Emily and Dash" (Season 15, episode 3)
- "Emily's Winter Party Special" (Season 16, episode 14)
- "No Snow for Thomas" (Season 17, episode 17)
- "Flatbeds of Fear" (Season 18, episode 3)
- "Emily Saves the World" (Season 18)
- Calling All Engines
- The Great Discovery
- Hero of the Rails
- Misty Island Rescue
- Day of the Diesels
- Blue Mountain Mystery
- King of the Railway
- Tale of the Brave
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- Stead, E: Thomas to the Rescue, Egmont, 2010.