|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (November 2011)|
|Emily Benn, in Mumbai in 2009|
|Born||Emily Sophia Wedgwood Benn
4 October 1989
The Hon. Emily Sophia Wedgwood Benn (born 4 October 1989) is the eldest child and only daughter of Stephen Benn (Viscount Stansgate) and Nita Clarke (née Bowes). Four generations of her family have served as British Members of Parliament (MP) – uncle Hilary Benn, grandfather Tony Benn, great-grandfather William Wedgwood Benn and great-great-grandfathers, John Williams Benn and Daniel Holmes. Benn was an unsuccessful Parliamentary candidate in the 2010 United Kingdom general election but was elected as a local councilor on 22 May 2014 to a safe Labour ward in Croydon.
Benn attended Wallington High School for Girls from 2001 to 2006, where she achieved 11 A* grades in her GCSEs. She studied music, history and Latin for A level at St Olave's Grammar School, and later studied history and politics at New College, Oxford.
Benn claims that her first political experience was campaigning for her grandfather in his Chesterfield constituency in the 1992 general election at age two, and she joined the Labour Party at age 14.
Candidacy for Parliament
On 12 September 2007, three weeks before her 18th birthday, Benn was selected by the local Labour Party to contest East Worthing and Shoreham in the 2010 general election. Benn was the youngest Labour Parliamentary Candidate at the 2010 General Election.
The sitting MP, Conservative Tim Loughton, was defending a majority vote of 8,183 from the 2005 general election in what is considered a safe Tory seat. In the 2010 election, Emily Benn came third, 4,276 votes behind the second-placed Liberal Democrats, while Loughton increased his majority to 11,105.
In July 2013, Benn was selected as one of three candidates to stand in the safe Labour ward of West Thornton London Borough of Croydon in the 2014 local council elections. and was elected on 22 May 2014.
- Official notice of candidates 2010, Worthing Borough Council[dead link]
- Tony Benn, Dare to be A Daniel: Then and Now (Arrow Books, 2006, ISBN 0-09-947153-1)
- Teenager to take on Tory Tim at election, Littlehampton Gazette, 25 September 2007
- Naughton, Philippe. "Times Online". The Times.(subscription required)
- Benn's granddaughter runs for MP, BBC News, 25 September 2007
- Benn's granddaughter to stand at the next election The Independent, 25 September 2007
- Young heir to Benn dynasty The Times, 25 September 2007(subscription required)
- First Statement from Emily Benn, East Worthing and Shoreham Labour Party[dead link]
- "Election 2010: Worthing East & Shoreham". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Tony Benn’s grand-daughter selected for West Thornton ward Inside Croydon, 15 July 2013
- Tony Benn: Croydon politicians pay tribute to veteran Labour MP Croydon Advertiser, 14 March 2014