|Cllr The Honourable
|Emily Benn, in Mumbai in 2009|
West Thornton Ward
23 May 2014
Serving with Bernadette Khan, Stuart King
|Born||Emily Sophia Wedgwood Benn
4 October 1989
Croydon, London, England 
|Alma mater||New College, Oxford.|
|Occupation||Investment Banker |
The Hon. Emily Sophia Wedgwood Benn (born 4 October 1989) is the eldest child and only daughter of Stephen Benn (Viscount Stansgate) and Nita Clarke (née Bowes). Benn was an unsuccessful Parliamentary candidate in the 2010 United Kingdom general election, and has been selected as a candidate for the next United Kingdom general election. At the 2014 local elections, Benn was elected to the West Thornton ward of Croydon Borough Council.
Early and family life
Benn was born in 1989 in England, at the time that the Labour Party Conference of that year was being held. Benn is a quarter Indian on her mother's side, and lives in South Norwood. Benn claims that her first political experience was campaigning for her grandfather in his Chesterfield constituency in the 1992 general election at age two, and she joined the Labour Party at age 14.
Four generations of her family have served as British Members of Parliament (MP) – uncle Hilary Benn, grandfather Tony Benn, great-grandfather William Wedgwood Benn and great-great-grandfathers, John Williams Benn and Daniel Holmes.
Benn attended Wallington High School for Girls where she achieved 11 A* grades in her GCSEs. She then studied music, history and Latin for A level at St Olave's Grammar School, and later studied History and Politics at New College, Oxford.
Candidacy for Parliament
The sitting MP, Conservative Tim Loughton, was defending a majority over Labour of 8,183 from the 2005 general election. In the election, Benn came third, 4,276 votes behind the second-placed Liberal Democrats, while Loughton increased his majority to 11,105.
In July 2013, Benn was selected as one of three Labour candidates for the ward of West Thornton on Croydon Borough Council in the 2014 local council elections. In May 2014, she was elected top of the ballot with a majority of 1,777.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated". London Borough of Croydon. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "A Life in the Day: Emily Benn" (Sunday Times). Talkin ’bout Global Warming Test. 4 November 2007. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Oxford Union Manifestos". Oxford Union. 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Emily Benn, daughter of Labour dynasty, to run for Parliament". The Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). 20 July 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Croydon elections: West Thornton results". Croydon Advertiser. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Teenager to take on Tory Tim at election, Littlehampton Gazette, 25 September 2007
- Naughton, Philippe. "Times Online". The Times. (subscription required)
- Benn's granddaughter runs for MP, BBC News, 25 September 2007
- Tony Benn, Dare to be A Daniel: Then and Now (Arrow Books, 2006, ISBN 0-09-947153-1)
- "A Life in the Day: Emily Benn". Sunday Times (Times Newspapers Ltd). 4 November 2007. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Age is just a number". Sunday Times. 4 October 2007. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Emily, the fifth generation of the Benn dynasty to enter the cut-throat world of politics". Mail Online (Associated Press). 29 September 2007. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Benn's granddaughter to stand at the next election The Independent, 25 September 2007
- "Election 2010: Worthing East & Shoreham". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Emily Benn, Tony Benn's granddaughter, bids to become MP". BBC News. 20 July 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Tony Benn’s granddaughter offered a selection open goal". Inside Croydon. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- Tony Benn’s grand-daughter selected for West Thornton ward Inside Croydon, 15 July 2013
- Tony Benn: Croydon politicians pay tribute to veteran Labour MP Croydon Advertiser, 14 March 2014