|Born||July 10, 1985|
|Origin||New York, United States|
|Genres||R&B, soul, jazz,|
|Associated acts||John Legend, Adele, Alicia Keys, José James|
Emily King (born July 10, 1985) is a Grammy-nominated American singer and songwriter. She started her career in 2004 and her debut album East Side Story was released three years later in August 2007. In December 2007, King was listed as a Grammy nominee for Best Contemporary R&B Album.
Born in New York City in 1985, King grew up in a small apartment on the lower east side. Her parents, Marion Cowings and Kim Kalesti, were a singing duo who performed and traveled regularly, bringing her and her older brother along with them. At age 16, King left highschool, after earning her GED, to pursue her music career. She began playing shows in restaurants and venues around New York City including CBGB'S  and The Bitter End. 
Signing her first record deal with J Records in 2004, her debut album East Side Story was released 3 years later in August 2007. It went on to earn a Grammy nomination for "Best Contemporary R&B Album of the Year." During that time King toured with John Legend and Floetry. She also opened for various artists such as Nas, Alicia Keys, Chaka Khan and Erykah Badu. After parting ways with her label in 2008, King continues her work independently. Her follow-up EP “Seven” was recorded in her home and released in July, 2011. In October she accepted an invitation from Maroon 5 to be the opening act on their European/Scandinavian tour in late 2011.
In May, 2012 Emily was awarded the Holly Prize (a tribute to the legacy of Buddy Holly) from The Songwriters Hall of Fame and Songmasters for recognition of the "all-in songwriter" whose work exhibits the qualities of Holly’s music: true, great and original.
In the fall of 2012, Emily was invited by Emeli Sande to open for her UK tour playing sold out shows in 5 cities including The Royal Albert Hall in London. 2013 José James's No Beginning No End includes an Emily King and James duet: Heaven On The Ground.
East Side Story Sampler (2006)
- "Walk in My Shoes"
- "You & I"
- "Hold Me"
- "Ain't No Sunshine"
The Seven EP (2011)
- "No More Room"
- "Ever After"
- "Every Part"
|Year||Information||Chart positions||Sales and certifications|
|2007||East Side Story
|U.S.||U.S. R&B||Hot Adult R&B Airplay|
|2007||"Walk In My Shoes"||—||74||22||East Side Story|
|2008||"U & I"||—||101||26|
- Theme Magazine https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150137900583882
- Emily King interview by Jason Gilmore
- Emily King interview by Rashmi Shastri
- Exclusive Emily King Interview @ www.pop-junkie.com
- Emily King Live Review @ House of Blues New Orleans
- "Hip-Hop News: Emily King Completes Upcoming Hip Hop/Soul Album", Rap News Network, July 26, 2006. Accessed July 26, 2006.
- "Po Jazz at the Cornela Street Cafe", Jazz Jaunts, November 4, 2004. Accessed November 4, 2004.
- "Emily King Introduction", J Records,2007. Accessed 2007.
- "Emily King and her East Side Story", JIVE Magazine,2006. Accessed 2006.