|Born||Emily O'Hara Ratajkowski
June 7, 1991 
Westminster, London, England
|Height||5 ft 7.5 in (1.71 m)|
|Dress size||2 (US), 6 (UK)|
Emily O'Hara Ratajkowski (//, born June 7, 1991) is a British-born American model and actress. She rose to prominence after her appearance in the music video for Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", which became the number one song of the year 2013 in several countries, including Canada and the United Kingdom as well as the longest running Billboard Hot 100 number one song of the decade to date in the United States.
A cover appearance on the March 2012 issue of treats! is credited for her having been solicited to appear in two music videos, including "Blurred Lines". Subsequent to the success and controversy of "Blurred Lines", she became a high profile sex symbol and gained supporting roles in prominent movies as well as a place in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Her modelling career has progressed from retail adwork to arthouse erotica and high fashion. Her acting career began with a recurring role on iCarly, and she has begun taking roles in major motion pictures.
Early life and education
Ratajkowski was born in the London borough of Westminster, to American parents. The family moved to California when she was 5. Her mother, Kathleen (Balgley), is a professor of English and a writer, whom Ratajkowski has described as a "feminist and intellectual". Her father, John David "J. D." Ratajkowski, is a painter and art teacher. Her father is of Polish and Irish descent; and her mother is the daughter of a Polish Jewish immigrant father and a mother of Irish and German origin. Her father was raised Catholic; her mother was raised Jewish and teaches at the San Diego Jewish Academy. Her mother formerly taught at California Polytechnic State University, known as Cal Poly. When asked about her heritage in 2012, Ratajkowski answered "Polish Israeli" although she had not yet been to Israel. Her parents met when they both taught at San Dieguito Academy. Both of her grandmothers are Irish.
Ratajkowski was raised in Encinitas, California in a small house near the ocean. She lived in and travelled to many parts of Europe at a young age and spent much of her childhood in Bantry in County Cork, Ireland, and Mallorca. In fact prior to becoming a full-time model, she spent every summer since she was very young in Ireland. Ratajkowski grew up without the influence of television. Before trying modelling, she tried her hand at soccer, acting and ballet as a youth.
After a pair of nondescript movie roles, Ratajkowski appeared as Gibby's girlfriend, Tasha, in two episodes of season three of Nickelodeon's iCarly. The earlier film roles were trivial enough that at one time she described her iCarly role as "my first and only acting job". In her schoolgirl years, she was typecast for auditions as the proverbial "bitchy girl" which became a bit tiresome.
|"Frederick's of Hollywood - Holiday 2012" posted December 4, 2012|
|Frederick's KNBC Valentine's Day 2011 segment posted February 11, 2011|
Ratajkowski was signed by Ford Models at age 14. She continued to attend high school in San Diego at San Dieguito Academy, while she modeled and acted in Los Angeles. She attended University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) for one year in 2009, then decided to pursue her career in modelling full-time. As a young model, Ratajkowski worked for Forever 21, Kohl's, and Nordstrom as well as swimwear and lingerie clients, but became recognized as a fashion model after shooting several campaigns and editorials with photographer Tony Duran. Some of her other stepping stones included art magazine photoshots in various states of dress. For example, in June 2012, she worked with Jonathan Leder. Before she became well-known, Ratajkowski modeled for Frederick's of Hollywood. As of 12 July 2014[update], two videos that she appeared in for the company (a featured Holiday 2012 video and a local Valentine's 2011 video) are among the five most popular videos on the company's YouTube channel.
|Carl's Jr. "BBQ's Best Pair" Commerical (uncut) posted February 19, 2013|
After her breakout with Duran, she began shooting more fashion editorials and appeared nude on the March 2012 cover of treats! Magazine, which she credits for bringing her the two unsolicited high-profile music video roles. treats! is an artistic erotica magazine based in Los Angeles that was new at the time, and Ratajkowski posed for several of the first few issues. She was featured in a Carl's Jr. commercial, with Sara Jean Underwood, in August 2012. The ad was produced in both a 30-second version and an uncut version lasting over a minute. At about the same time she became a Nikon model. She has worked with photographers such as Tony Kelly, with whom she shot the March 2013 cover of GQ Turkey. The images from that coverstory were later re-used in the July/August 2013 American GQ after her music video appearances came out. As a curvacious 5-foot-7-inch (1.70 m) model, Ratajkowski considers herself to have the potential to break barriers for models: "I want to be a model that breaks down the traditional body boundaries. You don't have to be 5'9" and an A-cup to be a successful model, and that's nice."
Music video performances
|"Fast Car" posted November 7, 2012|
|"Blurred Lines" posted March 20, 2013|
|"Love Somebody" posted May 21, 2013|
Ratajkowski appeared in the music video for "Fast Car" by Taio Cruz, which was released on November 5, 2012. In 2013, she appeared in two music videos: Robin Thicke, T.I., and Pharrell Williams' "Blurred Lines" and Maroon 5's "Love Somebody". According to interviews in magazines such as Rolling Stone and Esquire, Ratajkowski was in the "Love Somebody" video before the "Blurred Lines" video, which would be released two months earlier. A YouTube video on the making of the "Love Somebody" video indicates that the music video was shot on January 16, 2013. The "Love Somebody" video was released on Vevo on May 21, 2013. In the video, directed by Rich Lee, a topless Adam Levine uses inverse green screen technology to rub paint with his hands on the model subject. As they touch they reveal each other. Levine "caresses and serenades" her simultaneously during the video.
Thicke had seen the treats! magazine black-and-white cover and convinced director Diane Martel to cast her in the "Blurred Lines" music video. Ratajkowski initially declined role, but was swayed by the director. She had feared being classified as a music video model. The "Blurred Lines" music video, directed by Martel, was released on YouTube on March 20, 2013 (two months before "Love Somebody"). An explicit version with extensive nudity was posted by Thicke on March 28, 2013. Ratajkowski danced topless in one version of the music video and scantily clad in the other. In the explicit version, the models cavort about the stage in shoes and nude colored thongs for a large portion of the video, while the men flirt with them in a fully dressed state. YouTube banned the explicit version of the video on April 1 for violating its Community Guidelines due to its sexually explicit nature.
In addition to being controversial for nudity, "Blurred Lines" was controversial for its sexist take on rapist themes with repetition of the phrase "I know you want it". When asked by Esquire about her thoughts on whether she thought the "Blurred Lines" video was sexist, she replied that she did not think it was. In a separate interview for Complex, she said, "I think there's different kinds of nudity, and there's different kinds of sexiness, and obviously it's hard to distinguish those things. I think that the video was tasteful, beautiful, and there's nothing offensive about it." Additionally she said that she interpreted the video about "these ladies being silly and a little sarcastic".
"Blurred Lines" went on to become the number 1 song of the year on 2013 music charts in many countries, including Canada, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, and United Kingdom. Although the song placed second on the year-end US Billboard Hot 100 chart, the song's twelve consecutive weeks at number one made it the longest-running number-one single since "I Gotta Feeling" held the spot for 14 weeks in 2009.
She rose to prominence for her controversial performance in "Blurred Lines". Following her 2013 video appearances, Ratajkowski suddenly became a prominent sex symbol. On October 22, 2013 Esquire named Ratajkowski the "Woman of the Year" after she beat out Jennifer Lawrence in the final round of an online fan voting contest. On February 4, 2014, Sports Illustrated named Ratajkowski as one of its 12 rookies for its 50th anniversary Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. On April 30, 2014, FHM ranked Ratajkowski as the fourth sexiest woman in the world. On May 23, 2014, Maxim revealed its annual Hot 100 list, which included Ratajkowski at #62. She also was invited to the 18th annual May 15, 2014 Condé Nast Traveler Hot List Party. Ratajkowski won the "Our New Girlfriend Award" at the June 7, 2014 Spike Guys' Choice Awards. AskMen ranked Ratajkowski as its third most desirable woman of 2014 and the hottest model of the year.
She also appeared topless on the cover of Carine Roitfeld's magazine CR Fashion Book shot by Bruce Weber in erotic scenes with Karlie Kloss and male models in July 2013. Ratajkowski was in a Rag & Bone ad campaign at about the same time. Soon after her February 2014 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit appearance, she was on the cover of the March edition of the Spanish S Moda. Ratajkowski parlayed her sudden prominence into supporting roles in major motion pictures. On September 16, 2013, she was announced as the mistress of Ben Affleck's character in David Fincher's upcoming film adaptation of Gillian Flynn's novel Gone Girl. On March 4, 2014, she joined the cast of the 2015 film, Entourage, in which she will appear as a fictionalized version of herself, driving an Aston Martin (in real life she drives a Nissan Versa).
On June 24, 2014, Ratajkowski appeared nude on the cover and in a photospread for the coverstory of the July 2014 edition of American GQ. In the online videos and coverstory, the newly-single model gave men dating advice.
Ratajkowski had been dating creative director and menswear buyer Andrew Dryden prior to February 2014, when they split. Prior to becoming a pop culture phenomenon with her video appearance, Ratajkowski had become fed up with people spreading rumors that she had had breast augmentation surgery, and she responded by posting a picture of her ample 14-year-old self on Twitter. This action was not really noticed until well after her rise in popularity. Emily has residences in both Los Angeles and New York City.
|2004||Andrew's Alteration||Young Girl||short|
|2005||A Year and a Day||Girl|
|2014||Gone Girl||Andie Hardy||(completed)|
|2009–10||iCarly (season 3)||Tasha||Episodes: "iSpeed Date" and "iEnrage Gibby"|
|2012||"Fast Car"||Taio Cruz||Principal|
|2013||"Blurred Lines"||Robin Thicke, ft. T.I. and Pharrell||Co-principal||Year-end #1: CAN, IRE, NED, NZ & UK|
|2013||"Love Somebody"||Maroon 5||Principal|
- Andy Greene (2013-09-03). "Who Is 'Blurred Lines' Model Emily Ratajkowski? 10 Things You Don't Know | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Fashion Model Directory". www.fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Emily R.". Ford Models. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Endicott, Becca (2014-03-31). "5 Things to Know About Emily Ratajkowski (and her 40 Hottest Pictures)". Stylecaster.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Shapiro, Bee (October 23, 2013). "For Emily Ratajkowski, 'Blurred Lines' Brings a Career Path Into Focus". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Ayers, Mike (22 July 2013). "Q&A: Emily Ratajkowski on 'Blurred Lines' and Her Song of the Summer". Esquire.
- NIAMH HORAN – 14 July 2013 (2013-07-14). "Stunning star of controversial music video reveals Irish roots". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Emily Ratajkowski – Height, Weight, Bra Size, Measurements & Bio". CELEBIE. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "The Women of Instagram: Emily Ratajkowski". Esquire. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Bowen, Will. "La Jolla artist shares odyssey into Jewish literature via art". SDNews.com. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- Riley, Daniel (July 2014). "Emily Ratajkowski: The Bombshell of Summer". GQ. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Stattmann, Dean (12 October 2012). "Emily Ratajkowski Gets Saucy with Sara Underwood in Carl's Jr Ad". Men's Fitness. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Bowen, Will (2011-01-20). "Local artist shares odyssey into Jewish literature via art". La Jolla Village News 16 (18). p. 10. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Emily Ratajkowski, Model". IntoTheGloss.com. September 2013. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- London, Bianca (2013-06-25). "Who's that girl? Blurred Lines model deemed too hot for YouTube causes an even bigger stir...as she strips for GQ". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Also Known As Tasha from iCarly". The World's Best Ever. 2012-06-01. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Emily Ratajkowski Is Pure Sex In Frederick's of Hollywood New Campaign". Complex. 2012-08-07. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Frederick's of Hollywood". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Treats March 2012 cover". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Issue 3". Treats! Magazine. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- Grabert, Jessica (2012-09-01). "Watch The Uncut Version Of The Burger Commercial Featuring Playmate Sara Underwood". Cinemablend.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Swain, Wyatt (2013-06-25). "Emily Ratajkowski Blurs Nothing In This Month’s GQ Turkey Photo Shoot". Coed. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "'Blurred Lines' Model Emily Ratajkowski Wants To Break Down Body Boundaries". The Huffington Post. 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Taio Cruz - Fast Car (behind the scenes)". YouTube. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Corner, Lewis (2012-10-26). "Taio Cruz confirms new single 'Fast Car' - listen". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2004-07-10.
- "Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell". YouTube. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Maroon 5 (published 2013-06-06) [video created 2013-01-16]. Maroon 5- "Love Somebody" Behind The Scenes (video). Event occurs at 2:39. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Maroon 5's 'Love Somebody' Video Makes Its Debut". The Huffington Post. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Maroon 5 Releases Paint-Drenched ‘Love Somebody’ Video". WQAL. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Maroon 5 – 'Love Somebody' (Official Video)". Capital FM. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "'Blurred Lines' Banned By YouTube As Robin Thicke's Video Features Nude Models". The Huffington Post. Associated Press. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Thicke, Robin (2013-03-28). "Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines (Unrated Version) ft. T.I., Pharrell". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Romano, Tricia (2013-06-17). "‘Blurred Lines,’ Robin Thicke’s Summer Anthem, Is Kind of Rapey". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Servantes, Ian (22 July 2013). "Interview: "Blurred Lines" Star Emily Ratajkowski Talks Controversy, Nudity, and "Rapey" Lyrics". Complex. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "2013 Year End Charts - Top Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013". IRMA. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Top 100-Jaaroverzicht van 2013 (in Dutch). top40.nl. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- "End Of Year Charts 2013 (singles)". The Official New Zealand Music Chart. NZTop40.co.nz. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2013". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "Best of 2013 – Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Grein, Paul (2013-08-28). "Week Ending Aug. 25, 2013. Songs: Robin & Marvin". Nielsen SoundScan. Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Cantor, Doug (2013-10-22). "And Esquire's Woman of the Year Is...At long last, after 5 rounds and 32 impossibly attractive Impossible Choices, the results are in!". Esquire. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Shore, Rebecca (2014-02-04). "Today's 2014 rookie reveal of the day is, yes, Emily Ratajkowski". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Waller, Jordan (2014-04-30). "The Official 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2014: The full list". FHM. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (2014-05-23). "Maxim's 2014 Hot 100 List Is Here And Candice Swanepoel Is At The Top". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Maxim Hot 100 2014". Maxim. 2014-05-23. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Redman, Laura Dannen (2014-05-16). "Gone Girl's Emily Ratajkowski Heats Up Condé Nast Traveler’s Hot List Party in Las Vegas". Condé Nast Traveler. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Spike TV's Guys Choice 2014 Awards". San Francisco Chronicle. 2014-06-12. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "#3 Emily Ratajkowski". Askmen. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "1 Emily Ratajkowski". Askmen. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Chernikoff, Leah (2013-09-04). "Karlie Kloss and 'Blurred Lines' Model Emily Ratajkowski Strip Down and Make Out for CR Fashion Book". Fashionista.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Hamid, Khairun (2014-03-15). "Emily Ratajkowski for S Moda: The normally NSFW model get back to her fashion roots for Spanish title". Acclaim. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Sneider, Jeff (2013-09-16). "Ben Affleck's ‘Gone Girl’ Casts ‘Blurred Lines’ Beauty Emily Ratajkowski (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Gallagher, Brian (2014-03-04). "'Entourage' Announces Supporting Cast with Debi Mazar and Emily Ratajkowski: Rex Lee, Constance Zimmer and Nora Dunn reprise their roles from the HBO series in director Doug Ellin's upcoming comedy.". MovieWeb. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Peppers, Margot (2014-07-08). "A nude Emily Ratajkowski strikes a pose in the sand in a new image from her steamy GQ spread". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Tate, Amethyst (2014-06-24). "'Blurred Lines' Beauty Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless For GQ And Gives Men Dating Tips". International Business Times. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Tate, Amethyst (2014-02-06). "'Blurred Lines' Stunner Emily Ratajkowski Single: Splits With Boyfriend Ahead Of Movie Role Alongside Ben Affleck". International Business Times. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Smith, Emily (2014-02-06). "‘Blurred Lines’ beauty splits with boyfriend". New York Post Page Six. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "@emrata status update". 2013-01-10. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Duff, Anna (2013-06-21). "Blurred Lines topless video model Emily Ratajkowski hits out at 'meanies' who say she's had boob job". Now. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Jones, Cory (2014-03-11). "Emily Ratajkowski". Mandatory.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Official website
- Emily Ratajkowski on Sports Illustrated
- Emily Ratajkowski at the Internet Movie Database
- Emily Ratajkowski at the Fashion Model Directory
- Emily Ratajkowski at Models.com
- side-by-side views of the official and unrated versions of the controversial "Blurred Lines" videos