|Born||Emily O'Hara Ratajkowski
June 7, 1991
Westminster, London, England
|Height||5 ft 7.5 in (1.71 m)|
|Dress size||2 (US), 6 (UK)|
Emily O'Hara Ratajkowski (//, born June 7, 1991) is a British-born American model and actress. She rose to prominence after her controversial appearance in Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" music video.
Early life and education
Ratajkowski was born in the London borough of Westminster, the daughter of American parents. Her mother, Kathleen (Balgley), is a professor of English and a writer, whom Ratajkowski has described as a "feminist and intellectual". Her father, John David Ratajkowski, is a painter and art teacher. Her father is of Polish and Irish descent, and her mother is of Polish Jewish and Irish-German descent. Ratajkowski was raised in Encinitas, California. She lived in and travelled to many parts of Europe at a young age and spent much of her childhood in Bantry in Ireland, and Mallorca.
Ratajkowski was signed by Ford Models at age 14. She continued to attend high school in San Diego at San Dieguito Academy, while she modelled and acted in Los Angeles. She attended University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) for one year, then decided to pursue her career in modelling full-time.
Ratajkowski was signed by Ford Models at age 14 but finished high school and went to college for one year. She worked for Forever 21 and Nordstrom, but became recognized as a fashion model after shooting several campaigns and editorials with photographer Tony Duran.
She began shooting more fashion editorials and appeared nude on the cover of Treats! Magazine, which she credits for bringing her the two high-profile music video gigs, which she did not audition for. She has worked with photographers such as Tony Kelly, with whom she shot the cover of GQ Turkey. She featured in a Carl's Jr. commercial, with Sara Jean Underwood, in August 2012. She also appeared on the cover of Carine Roitfeld's magazine CR Fashion Book shot by Bruce Weber in September 2013. In February 2014 she was one of the 12 new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit rookie swimsuit models.
"Blurred Lines" performance
In 2013, she appeared in two music videos: Robin Thicke, T.I., and Pharrell's "Blurred Lines" and Maroon 5's "Love Somebody". She rose to prominence for her controversial performance in "Blurred Lines", which featured her dancing topless. YouTube banned the explicit version of the video for violating its Community Guidelines due to its sexually explicit nature but reinstated it in July 2013.
When asked by Esquire about her thoughts on whether she thought the video was sexist, she replied that she did not think it was. In a separate interview, she said, "I think there's different kinds of nudity, and there's different kinds of sexiness, and obviously it's hard to distinguish those things. I think that the video was tasteful, beautiful, and there's nothing offensive about it". Additionally she said that she interpreted the video about "these ladies being silly and a little sarcastic".
- Andy Greene (2013-09-03). "Who Is 'Blurred Lines' Model Emily Ratajkowski? 10 Things You Don't Know | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Emily R.". Ford Models. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Twitter / realemrata: 21 at last!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "Fashion Model Directory". www.fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Ayers, Mike (22 July 2013). "Q&A: Emily Ratajkowski on 'Blurred Lines' and Her Song of the Summer". Esquire.
- Shapiro, Bee (October 23, 2013). "For Emily Ratajkowski, 'Blurred Lines' Brings a Career Path Into Focus". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- NIAMH HORAN – 14 July 2013 (2013-07-14). "Stunning star of controversial music video reveals Irish roots". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Emily Ratajkowski – Height, Weight, Bra Size, Measurements & Bio". CELEBIE. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Emily Ratajkowski Gets Saucy with Sara Underwood in Carl's Jr Ad". Men's Fitness. 12 October 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "The Women of Instagram: Emily Ratajkowski". Esquire. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Ford Models". Models.fordmodels.com. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Who's that girl?". Dailymail. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Issue 3". Treats! Magazine. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Fotoğraf | GQ'nun doğum günü sürprizi: Emily Ratajkowski". GQ. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- Servantes, Ian (22 July 2013). "Interview: "Blurred Lines" Star Emily Ratajkowski Talks Controversy, Nudity, and "Rapey" Lyrics". Complex Music. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Official website
- Emily Ratajkowski at the Internet Movie Database
- Emily Ratajkowski at the Fashion Model Directory