Empire (Shakira song)
|Single by Shakira|
|from the album Shakira|
|Released||24 February 2014|
|Shakira singles chronology|
"Empire" is a song recorded by Colombian singer-songwriter Shakira for her self-titled tenth studio album, Shakira (2014). It was written by Steve Mac and Ina Wroldsen, while production was handled by Mac and Shakira. The song was released as the second single from the album on February 24, 2014. "Empire" is a downtempo rock ballad about finding a love so powerful their empire could make "the world unite." Her vocals on the track was compared to those of Tori Amos, Jewel, Joni Mitchell and Alanis Morissette.
Upon its release, "Empire" was acclaimed by music critics, who commended the singer for getting back to her rock roots. Some even called it a gorgeous ballad and praised her vocals. The song charted moderately in countries like France, South Korea and Spain. In the United States, it peaked at number 58 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song's accompanying video was released on March 25, 2014 and portrays Shakira playing a runaway bride unharmed by fire and on the side of the Montserrat mountain, close to Barcelona. Shakira performed the song in a number of places, including The Voice (both U.S. and UK), Billboard Music Awards, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon iHeart Radio awards and others.
Background and release
After the success of her ninth studio album, Sale el Sol, in 2010, Shakira revealed in November 2011, "I've begun to explore in the recording studio whenever I have time in Barcelona and here in Miami. I'm working with different producers and DJs, and I try to feed off from that and find new sources of inspiration and new musical motivation. I'm anxious to return to the studio. My body is asking for it." In 2012, it was reported that Shakira was shooting the video for the tentative-first single "Truth or Dare" in Lisboa, Portugal. However, due to Shakira's pregnancy, the song was not released. Later, in March 2014, Shakira explained to Billboard that, "It's been two-and-a-half years of making songs, trashing them, doing them again, doing eight versions of each song, having a baby, doing "The Voice," coming back to the studio, reconnecting with my songs."
In December 2013, Sony Music Entertainment reported that Shakira's new single would be released in January 2014, and that it was supposed to be a duet with Barbadian recording artist Rihanna. In January 13, 2014, "Can't Remember to Forget You" was released and indeed features Rihanna. On February 24, 2014, Popjustice announced that "Empire" would be the album's second single. The cover art is simple, with Shakira in a white strapless dress and hair pulled back. Shakira also premiered the track on VEVO on the same day and it was offered as a free download with a pre-order of the album, "Shakira.". Shakira's official Facebook page announced it as the second single from the album.
"Empire" was written by British songwriter Steve Mac and Norwegian Ina Wroldsen, while Mac produced the song. "Empire" is a rock song, beginning in acoustic mode with a sparse intro before Shakira unleashes her "inner head-banger" and "howls her way" through the chorus, according to Idolator's Mike Wass. Lyrically, "Empire" talks about a bursting passion that the singer simply cannot express in words. "The empires of the world unite / we are alive," she belts out on the track. "And the stars make love to the universe / You’re my wildfire every single night / We are alive."
Billboard's Leila Cobo points out that "Empire" sounds a little like a Tori Amos song, writing that, "the fragility in Shakira's voice, the background strings and captivating hook are all eerily reminiscent of Amos's 'Little Earthquakes'." PopCrush's Michelle McGahan compared Shakira's strong voice to "a combination of Jewel and The Cranberries in the ’90s." Maggie Pannacione of ArtistDirect compared the song to the works of Joni Mitchell and Alanis Morissette, but "in the Shakira Latina way."
"Empire" was critically acclaimed, with most critics praising the singer for getting back to her rock roots. Leila Cobo of Billboard called the track "a gorgeous rock ballad that harks back to Shakira's earliest work." Jason Lipshut also of Billboard called it a " downtempo, downright emo track." Jazz Tangcay of So So Gay named it a "thumping ballad" that "takes a few listens but it seems rock guitar and a thumping sound is the direction Shakira is going with her forthcoming self-titled album." Mike Wass of Idolator wrote that 'Empire' "is her rowdiest rock adventure by far."
Emily Mackay of Digital Spy described the track as "a more mature, classic, piano-led sort of pop with a star-gazing, philosophical rush", with "a cosmic-orgasmic chorus." Maggie Pannacione of ArtistDirect simply called it "flawless and unique," while Jamieson Cox of Time magazine complimented the track for having "Bond-theme grandeur and a spotlight on Shakira’s rich, soaring vocals," noting that, "If you’re going to give your single an imperial moniker, it’d better come with tons of space and an explosive climax; Shakira delivers on both counts."
On March 10, Shakira posted to her social media pictures of herself shooting the video for "Empire". The pictures find the singer wearing a white wedding dress. On March 13, 2014, a lyric video was uploaded to her YouTube account. Mike Wass of Idolator called it "a beautifully shot nature documentary with a rather incredible soundtrack." He went on to describe the lyric video, stating that, "The visual feast features slow motion photography of seeds sprouting and flowers blooming — an exceedingly good fit for the Colombian’s kooky lyrics about stars making love to the universe."
The official music video was released on March 25, 2014, directed by Darren Craig, Jonathan Craven and Jeff Nicholas from the Uprising Creative. In the video, Shakira emerges as a beautiful bride in white about to walk down the aisle in a flower-decked church. But in a dreamy twist, Shakira has a change of heart and is seen picking up her skirts and running away across a green sunlit field. Later, she's seen standing on the church steps with her ruffled train catching fire.
The Empire music video filmed in the city of Esparreguera (Spain), near an abandoned suburb.
On March 25, 2014, Shakira held an iHeartRadio album release party which was presented by Target, live from the iHeartRadio Theater Los Angeles. During the release party, Shakira performed four songs from the album, which included "Empire." The following day Shakira performed the song, during a promotional interview with Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The same day Shakira performed "Hips Don't Lie" and "Empire" during a live set on The Today Show at the Rockerfella stadium. On March 29, 2014 Shakira performed "Empire" live on The Voice UK. On April 22, 2014, she performed the song on "The Voice," on which she is a judge. On May 1, 2014, she performed the song at the 1st annual iHeartRadio music awards. On May 10, 2014, she performed the song at the Wango Tango. On May 18, 2014 she performed at the Billboard Music Awards
Charts and certifications
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||92|
|Croatia (Airplay Radio Chart)||15|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||17|
|Lebanon (The Official Lebanese Top 20)||8|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||21|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||55|
|South Korea (Gaon International Digital Chart)||97|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||25|
|US Billboard Hot 100||58|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||26|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum+Gold||1,500,000http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Empire|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Austria||24 February 2014||Digital download||Sony|
|United States||25 February 2014|
|New Zealand||26 February 2014||Sony|
|United States||22 April 2014||Hot AC radio||
|Germany||28 November 2014||CD Single|
- Cobo, Leila (November 4, 2011). "Shakira Needs to Record: 'My Body Is Asking for It'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- "Shakira filma em Lisboa". MTV (in Portuguese). July 2, 2012. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Cobo, Leila (March 7, 2014). "Shakira Returns With New Album, Steamy Rihanna Video, Country Duet: Cover Story". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Navas, Judy Cantor (December 17, 2013). "New Shakira Single Set for January". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Lipshutz, Jason (January 6, 2014). "Shakira & Rihanna's 'Can't Remember To Forget You' Single Out Next Monday". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- O'Mance, Brad (February 24, 2014). "Shakira’s next single is called ‘Empire’ and might be online quite soon". Popjustice. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Wass, Mike (February 24, 2014). "Shakira Rocks Out On "Empire": Listen To Her Kooky New Single". Idolator. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Lipshut, Jason (February 25, 2014). "Shakira Releases 'Empire' Track From New Album: Listen". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Watch the new lyric video for Shak’s next single, Empire". Facebook. March 13, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "#NowPlaying: Shakira – Empire". So So Gay. February 25, 2014. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Shakira abandona ritmos caribenhos e aposta em guitarra e piano na nova música; ouça "Empire"". Rolling Stone (in Portuguese). February 25, 2014. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- McGahan, Michelle (February 24, 2014). "Listen to Shakira's New Song: "Empire"". PopCrush. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Pannacione, Maggie (February 26, 2014). "Listen to Shakira's New Song "Empire"". ArtistDirect. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Cobo, Leila (March 7, 2014). "Shakira Returns With New Album, Steamy Rihanna Video, Country Duet: Cover Story (Pt. 2)". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Mackay, Emily (March 24, 2014). "Shakira's new album reviewed: A deft shimmy over a tightrope of integrity". Digital Spy. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Cox, Jamieson (February 25, 2014). "Shakira Ups the Grandeur on New Single "Empire": Listen". TIME. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Wass, Mike (March 10, 2014). "Shakira Is A Beautiful Bride In New Pics From Her "Empire" Video". Idolator. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Wass, Mike (March 13, 2014). "Shakira Achieves The Impossible, Delivers An Interesting Lyric Video: Watch "Empire"". Idolator. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Garibalda, Christina (March 25, 2014). "Shakira's Marriage Goes Up In Flames In 'Empire' Video: Watch Now". MTV News. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Williot, Carl (March 25, 2014). "Shakira’s "Empire" Video: Shak Is A Runaway Bride On Fire". Idolator. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Shakira – Empire" (in French). Ultratip.
- "WEEK33 16.8–22 August 2010" Airplay Top 5. Bulgarian Association of Music Producers.
- "Shakira Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Shakira. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "ARC 100 - datum izlaska: 27. siječnja 2014." (in Croatian). HRT. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – Shakira – Empire" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 15, 2014". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Shakira – Empire – Lebanese Charts". Billboard.biz. Archived from the original on April 15, 2014.
- "Archive Chart: April 12, 2014". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201415 into search.
- "Gaon Weekly International Digital Chart". Gaon, Korea Music Content Industry Association. March 2–8, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Shakira – Empire" Canciones Top 50.
- "12, 2014/ Archive Chart: April 12, 2014" UK Singles Chart.
- "Shakira Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Shakira. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Shakira Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Shakira. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Shakira – Empire". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 01 December 2014. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help) If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH