||It has been suggested that Empire Special Honorary Awards be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2014.|
|20th Empire Awards|
An Empire award
|Awarded for||Excellence in cinematic achievements|
|Last awarded||March 29, 2015|
|Official website||2015 Official website|
The Empire Awards, is an annual British awards ceremony honoring cinematic achievements in the local and global film industry. Winners are awarded the Empire Award statuette. The awards, first presented in 1996, are presented by the British film magazine Empire with the winners voted by the readers of the magazine.
The 19th Empire Awards, the most recent ceremony, honoring films in 2013, was held on March 30, 2014 at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, England. The awards are sponsored by Jameson Irish Whiskey since the 14th Empire Awards and since then are officially called the Jameson Empire Awards.
Empire Awards categories
Award categories as of 2014
- Best Actor: 1996 to present
- Best Actress: 1996 to present
- Best Supporting Actor: 2014
- Best Supporting Actress: 2014
- Best Director: 1996 to present
- Best Male Newcomer: 2012 to present
- Best Female Newcomer: 2012 to present
- Best Film: 1996 to present
- Best British Film: 1996 to present; In 2002 it was known as "Sky Movies Best British Film"
- Best Comedy: 2006 to present
- Best Horror: 2006 to present
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 2006 to present; In 2009 it was known as "Best Sci-Fi/Superhero"
- Best Thriller: 2006 to present
- Done In 60 Seconds Award: 2008 to present
- Best British Actor: 1996 to 2005
- Best British Actress: 1996 to 2005
- Best British Director: 1997 to 2001; 2005
- Best Newcomer: 1996 to 2011; From 1996 to 2002 it was known as "Best Debut"
- Scene of the Year: 2003 to 2007; From 2003 to 2007 it was known as "Sony Ericsson Scene of the Year"; In 2007 it was known as "Scene of the Year"
- Best Soundtrack: 2008 to 2009; In 2008 it was known as "Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award"; In 2009 it was known as "Best Soundtrack"
- The Art of 3D: 2012 to 2013
Current honorary awards
As of the 19th Empire Awards these are the three awards which are currently handed out:
- Empire Hero Award: 2010 to present
- Empire Icon Award: 2006; 2008 to 2011; 2014
- Empire Inspiration Award: 1997; 1999 to 2002; 2004 to 2006; 2008; 2010 to present
Retired honorary awards
- Contribution to Cinema Award: 2000 only
- Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema Award: 2005 to 2006; Outstanding Contribution To British Film: 2008 to 2010; Outstanding Contribution: 2013 only
- Independent Spirit Award: 2002 to 2005
- Lifetime Achievement Award: 1996 to 2003; 2006; Career Achievement Award: 2004 only
- Movie Masterpiece Award: 1999 to 2000
- Legend Award: 2012 to 2013
- Actor Of Our Lifetime: 2009 only
- Action Hero of Our Lifetime: 2014 only
- Legend of Our Lifetime: 2014 only
- Icon of the Decade: 2005 only
- Heath Ledger Tribute: 2009 only
- "James Nesbitt to host the Jameson Empire Awards 2014" (PDF) (Press release). Bauer Consumer Media. Premier. March 25, 2014. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- Ojomu, Nola; Leyfield, James (March 30, 2014). "Tom Cruise cuts a dapper figure in an immaculate navy suit as he is named Legend Of Our Lifetime at the 2014 Empire Film awards". Mail Online (Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Jameson Empire Awards 2009 - Nominations" (Press release). Bauer Consumer Media. March 2, 2009. Archived from the original on May 8, 2009.
- Turney, Ewan (December 1, 2008). "Jameson to sponsor Empire Awards". Morningadvertiser.co.uk (William Reed Business Media). Retrieved October 1, 2014.
- Official website (latest ceremony)
- 2014 Done in 60 Seconds official website
- The Empire Awards at the Internet Movie Database