Empire Mates Entertainment
|Empire Mates Entertainment|
|Country of origin||Nigeria|
Empire Mates Entertainment (stylized as E.M.E) is a Nigerian record label founded by R&B recording artist Banky W in 2002. The label is home to recording artists such as Wellington himself, Wizkid, Shaydee, and Niyola. DJ Xclusive is the label’s official DJ. Producers associated with the label include Masterkraft, Jay Sleek, Cobhams Asuquo, Spellz, and Samklef, among others. On June 18, 2012, the label released its first compilation album Empire Mates State of Mind.
In addition to establishing a record label, Banky W, Segun Demuren, and Tunde Demuren established a production house, a publishing company known as Muzik Men Publishing, and a charity foundation known as the I-AM-CAPABLE Charity Foundation.
On February 19, 2014, Nigerian Entertainment Today reported that Skales parted ways with E.M.E following the expiration of his contract. According to reports, both parties met and reached an agreement.
Wellington founded the record label in Albany, New York, 2002. During an interview with Beverly Bryan of MTVIggy.com, Banky W shed light on the formulation of E.M.E. He said that he started EME while studying at a local university in Albany. He also said that he made money from singing to patrons of hair and nail salons in New York. After relocating to Lagos in 2008, Banky W established EME. In 2009, he signed Wizkid as the first act to the record label. Skales was also signed to the label in 2009. DJ Xclusive, Shaydee, and Niyola were all signed to the label in 2012. During an interview with Toolz on Ndani's TV's "The Juice", Banky W opened up on the signing process for each artist on the label. He said Niyola after hearing her sing in the bathroom at his sister's wedding in 2007. He signed Shaydee after a show in Ilorin. Wizkid and Skales' record deals with EME came as a result of musical exposure.
Allegations about Wizkid’s "departure"
On February 20, 2013, InformationNigeria.com reported that Wizkid was "at war" with E.M.E due to matters that pertains to contract negotiations. According to the website's source, Wizkid was allegedly getting 25 percent from every show while Banky W and Segun Demuren were getting 50 percent. Osagie, Wizkid's former manager, was allegedly getting the remaining 25 percent. After firing Osagie and hiring Godwin Tom, his current manager, Wizkid allegedly wanted a 50-50 share with Banky W. The source allegedly revealed that Banky W refused to accept Wizkid's proposal. Moreover, it was alleged that Banky W wanted to find a manager for Wizkid who would accept 25 percent. It was also alleged that things started getting sour as a result of both parties disagreement. Furthermore, it was alleged that Wizkid was doing three shows weekly and bringing in close to 24 million naira monthly. Allegations about Wizkid's departure from EME kept getting coverage mainly because he (Wizkid) wasn't invited to Banky W's album launch party and wasn't featured on the R&BW album.
During the aforementioned interview with Toolz, Banky W broke his silence on the subject. He didn't comment on the contract negotiations allegation, and didn't shun any of the allegations mentioned.
I preference the answer to that by saying that when you don't give people bad news, they create it. As we grow, with growth and success, goals become bigger. He wants to start his own label. It was not nearly as bitter or as violent as people made it out to seem. It was just funny to me because it's just ironic how bitter people can be and how much people are really hungry for slander and bad news. He is still on the label. We are in full support whether its StarBoy or what we are doing with Disturbing London. We are actually all working together to make sure that this goes smoothly. People were just really bitter and looking for fights.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2013||City People Entertainment Awards||Best Record Label of the Year||Nominated|
|Act||Year signed||# Albums and other works released
under Empire Mates Entertainment
|Albums and other works released
under the label
|2003||Banky W. - Undeniable EP
|2005||Banky W - Back in the Building
|2008||Banky W - Mr Capable
|2009||Banky W - The W Experience
|2011||Wizkid - Superstar|
|2012||Empire Mates Entertainment - Empire Mates State of Mind|
|2013||Banky W - R&BW
- "Empire Mates Entertainment - Home". Empire Mates Entertainment. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Empire Mates State of Mind by Various Artists". iTunes. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Empire Mates Entertainment". iFacotryNigeria. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Alonge, Osagie (19 February 2014). "NET Exclusive: Skales bows out of EME as contract expires". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Welcome To The Empire Mates State Of Mind". MTV Iggy. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Nigeria to Host Empire Mates' Concert". Olamident. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "The Juice - Banky W". YouTube. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "REVEALED: The Real Reasons Why Wizkid Left EME To Float StarBoy Records". Information Nigeria. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Wizkid, E.M.E records part ways?". PunchNigeria. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Nigeria: Why Wizkid Abandoned Banky W's EME". AllAfrica. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- ""EME is my family": The new Y! Magazine speaks exclusively to Wizkid on his struggles, fame & the future". YNaija. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "[News] Wizkid M.I.A on Banky W’s New Album". GreatAfricanMusic. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Banky W squashes rumours of Wizkid's departure from EME...". MTV Base. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Aiki, Damilare (19 June 2013). "Ice Prince, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Sarkodie, Nse Ikpe-Etim, Yvonne Okoro, Tonto Dikeh & BellaNaija Nominated for the 2013 City People Entertainment Awards - See the Full List". Bellanaija. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "EMPIRE MATES ENTERTAINMENT (E.M.E) SIGNS NIYOLA". Hiphopworldmagazine. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "MEET E.M.E’S NEW SIGNING, SHAYDEE". Hiphopworldmagazine. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "VIDEO:Wizkid’s Sophomore Album " Chosen" For Release This October – Banky W". tooxclusive. Retrieved 13 November 2013.