||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2012)|
|Headquarters||Northlake, Illinois, U.S.|
Empire Today, LLC is a Northlake, Illinois-based home improvement and home furnishing company, specializing in installed carpet, flooring, and window treatments. Empire Today was named the country's #1 or #2 Specialty Flooring Retailer (in total dollar amount of sales) from 2007 to 2010 by Floor Covering Weekly.
Empire Carpet is the common name for Empire Today LLC, which was founded by Seymour Cohen in 1959 as Empire Plastic Covers, a family-owned business in Chicago. In 1965, Empire Plastic Covers changed its name to Empire Home Services, adding carpet to its product line. The company assumed the name Empire Today after a sale in 2003.
The advertising mascot "Empire Man" was introduced in 1978 as a live action character and later adapted into an animated version. The company also paid to have the mascot featured at a Chicago Cubs game. The character was portrayed on television by company ad executive Lynn Hauldren from 1978 through 2011. After Empire Today decided to retire the live character in favor of a computer-animated version, Hauldren continued to provide voiceovers for the ads until his death in 2011. Some of the commercials with his voice are still airing.
In 2011, the company implemented a carpet and padding recycling program to minimize the environmental impact of its day-to-day operations.
- "Jingle Fever". Replacement Contractor Magazine. 2008. Retrieved 17 January 2008.
- "Top 50 Retailers 2010". Floor Covering Weekly. 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2007.
- "Empire Today's icon character 'Empire Man' celebrates 30th anniversary". Weatherford Democrat. 2007-07-18. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- "Empire Today Honored at Historic Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs Declare "Empire Day"". Home Renovation Guide. 2007-08-17. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "Chicagoland Memories". Lisa's Web World. Retrieved 2 March 2006.
- Empire Today’s Recycling Program