From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up emptiness in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Emptiness is the state of being empty, i.e., not containing anything.
Hence, the term may refer metaphorically to several things:
- A blank information carrier, like an empty sheet of paper or an empty hard disk.
- An empty data structure, such as an empty string.
- In Buddhism, "emptiness" is called Śūnyatā.
- In set theory, emptiness is symbolized by the empty set: a set that contains no elements.
- In linguistics, emptiness is represented by the absent referent: a sign that has an empty, absent, non-existent, paradoxical, hypothetical, supernatural, or undefined referent.
Emptiness or The Emptiness may also refer to:
- Lack of matter, or vacuum.
- The Emptiness (album), the third album released by post-hardcore band Alesana
- Emptiness (Chinese constellation), a Chinese star constellation
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Emptiness.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.