Empty force is a term used in martial arts to denote the expression of force without making physical contact. Whether or not this force actually exists is the subject of debate in the martial arts community.
People who believe in the empty force claim "Ling Kong Jing, the 'Empty Force,' is the highest martial arts skill in China. This extraordinary technique harnesses the power of qi, the body's vital energy, enabling masters of the art to defend themselves against opponents without making physical contact." Its authenticty and effectiveness are quite controversial, even its very origin is proven very difficult to prove by its current leading master, Paul Dong.
According to Paul Dong, "It is hard to trace the origins of the empty force, but we know that Yang Luchuan (1799-1872)—a famous Tai Chi Chuan expert in China's Qing Dynasty who was said to 'draw blood with every step'—had mastered the empty force." The very concept of the technique is but a piece of what is possible with the mastery of Telekinesis. The idea of such techniques are not unique just to the labelled martial art. The Shaolin Temple has a vast list of mysterious skills (some are still being exhibited and deemed magic tricks). The technique called, Xinli Yingxiang (Mental Impact technique), Yi Zhi Chan Gong (Single-Finger of Chan Meditation Exercise), and many others are claimed to produce similar results if used to attack a person.
Some proponents of martial arts are skeptical about demonstrations of empty force and dismiss them as tricks.
- Dong, Paul. Empty Force: The Ultimate Martial Art. ISBN 978-1-85230-783-7
- Dong, Empty Force, p. 19.
- EFO Empty Force FAIL, YouTube video made by skeptical people attending an open demonstration of EFO organized in Barcelona (Spain)
- Training Methods of 72 Arts of Shaolin by Jin Jing Zhong
- 72 Consummate Arts Secrets of The Shaolin Temple by Wu Jiaming (translated by Rou Gong)(revised by Yang Yinrong)
- Telecult Power: The Amazing New Way to Psychic and Occult Wonders by Reese P. Dubin
- Chi Kung: Way of Power by Master Lam Kam Chuen
- Psychic Development for Beginners by William W. Hewitt