|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Founded||29th May 1989|
|Headquarters||Ebene City, Mauritius|
|Parent||Currimjee Group & Millicom|
Emtel Ltd. is a telecommunications company based in Ebene City, Mauritius. The company is an international joint venture between Currimjee Jeewanjee & Co. Ltd. and Millicom International Cellular SA, an operator of mobile telephony and other telephone services and systems, based in Luxembourg. Emtel launched its mobile telephone operations in Mauritius in May 1989, establishing itself as the first mobile telephone operator in the Southern Hemisphere.
In 1999, Emtel launched its GSM service offerings, three years after its competitor mainly because of exclusive rights allocated to Cellplus Ltd to operate GSM technology in Mauritius. As such, Emtel experienced a significant decline in market share at the end of the 1990s.
The company now supplies a range of telecommunication services. In November 2004, Emtel became the first company in Africa to launch 3G/UMTS services. On May 2012, following its 23rd aniversary, Emtel launched 4G[LTE] and became the first fully operational LTE provider in Mauritius. The company now operates GSM, GPRS, 3G/UMTS as well as 3.5G/HSDPA, 4G/[LTE] and WIMAX networks.
- 1989 29 May, Emtel became the first mobile telephony operation in the Southern Hemisphere, as a result of collaboration between the Currimjee Jeewanjee Group and Millicom International Cellular (MIC) S.A..
- 1995 Emtel was one of the founders of Bharti Cellular Ltd with the first Indian GSM network in New Delhi
- 1996 Introduction of international roaming in Mauritius
- 1998 Emtel was the first company to introduce a prepaid system for its customers
- 1999 Emtel introduces new modes of communications with SMS, mobile email and 6-party conferencing.
- 2000 Emtel was the first to introduce the Short Message Service (SMS)
- 2002 introduction of SMS based information provision and the launch of the first mobile internet portal in Mauritius bringing interaction between web and cellular phone.
- 2003 Emtel service, JukeBox 135 allows the Emtel subscriber to listen and dedicate songs to any other telephone number. The company also launched the roaming facility to its prepaid customers on that same year.
- 2004 Emtel brings MMS. During the following months, Emtel launched the first 3G network in Africa which enabled new services like videotelephony, and video surveillance where customers could remotely monitor their house through a webcam connected to the internet on their mobile phone.
- 2005 Emtel launches Caller Tunes, which allows customers to personalize their Caller Tone.
- 2006 Emtel Networks extends to Rodrigues outer-island. Emtel TV is launched comprising 10 television channels
- 2007 Emtel launches WIMAX technology aimed at providing wireless data communication over long distances. The company is the first to introduce HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) on the local market. It offers 3.5G services, which allows networks to have higher data transfer speeds and capacity with mobile access via the Emtel USB Modem (Huawei E220) with 1.8 Mbit/s maximum downlink speed.
- 2008 Emtel launches Gift and Collect SMS, allowing the user to send SMS even when short of mobile credits
- 2009 Emtel receives ISO 9001:2008 certification by the British Standards Institution. 29 May - Emtel celebrates its 20th anniversary. On the 2nd of June, Emtel launches its Underground Fibre Optical project at its Boundary Road office. This cable is the first in its kind in Mauritius, and will provide access to high speed Internet services. The first phase of the project is 137 km long. 11 November - Emtel wins the "Changing Lives" AfricaCom Award in Cape Town for having launched its mobile network in Agalega, giving Agalaeans access to the same services and the same tariffs as in Mauritius and Rodrigues.
- 2010 Emtel launches a service, enabling subscribers to use both prepaid and postpaid while keeping their existing Emtel number as well as their SIM card. Emtel later launches m-payment to enable mobile payment of Emtel bills via SMS, other services such as utility bill payment or cinema ticket purchase to be launched. In August, Emtel launches SOS Refill which enables the user to obtain a Rs 5 emergency credit if they have less than Rs3 on their prepaid balance.
- 2011 Emtel becomes the first Mauritian operator to launch Facebook mobile, with the possibility to post status updates via SMS; receive updates, likes, etc.
- 2012 Emtel launches its data center at Arsenal(Mauritius) for contingency. Later on, it launches its fixed wireless telephony services to home and office users. In May, on its 23rd anniversary, Emtel soft-launches the 4G-LTE service. The service is commercially launched in July 2012 offering service speeds of up to 150Mbit/s. In September 2012, Emtel is rebranded with a new logo and new slogan: "Emtel - You. First"
- "EMTEL 3G UMTS Network, Mauritius". http://www.mobilecomms-technology.com/projects/emtel/.
- "Emtel (Mauritius) Limited v. The Ministry of Telecommunication and Others (Mauritius)  UKPC 36 (2 October 2000)". http://www.saflii.org/mu/cases/UKPC/2000/36.html.
- "UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION". http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Millicom_International_Cellular_S.A._%28MICC%29/Mauritius.
- "Emtel Launched the 4G Mobile". http://business.mega.mu/2012/05/30/emtel-launched-4g-mobile/.