Emthanjeni Local Municipality
Location in the Northern Cape
|District||Pixley ka Seme|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Boy Kenneth Markman|
|• Total||13,472 km2 (5,202 sq mi)|
|• Density||3.1/km2 (8.1/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||33.2%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Emthanjeni Local Municipality is a local municipality in the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality district of the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Emthanjeni is a Xhosa name meaning a "vein", symbolising the importance of an underground water supply system to the area. It is also a translation of the name of the municipality's seat, De Aar.
|Place||Code||Area (km2)||Population||Most spoken language|
|Remainder of the municipality||371003||13,243.48||2,626||Afrikaans|
The municipal council consists of fourteen members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Seven councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in seven wards, while the remaining seven are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 no party obtained a majority of seats on the council; the African National Congress formed a coalition with an independent to govern the municipality. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||6,869||7,233||14,102||52.2||5||2||7|
|Congress of the People||808||1,789||2,597||9.6||0||1||1|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Emthanjeni". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Emthanjeni". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
|This Northern Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|