Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop
|The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop|
|Subject||Australian rock music history|
|Publisher||Allen & Unwin|
|Publication date||December 1999|
|Dewey Decimal||781.66/0994/03 21|
|LC Classification||ML102.R6 M38 1999|
The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop or Rock and Pop by Australian music journalist Ian McFarlane is a guide to Australian popular music from the 1950s to the late 1990s. The encyclopedia was described in Australian Music Guide as "the most exhaustive and wide-ranging encyclopedia of Australian music from the 1950s onwards".
The encyclopedia is out of print, but was for a time available on the whammo.com.au online record store, and is still in the Internet Archive.
Publishers, Allen & Unwin describe McFarlane's encyclopedia as containing over 870 entries and is an "essential reference to the bands and artists who molded the shape of Australian popular music [...] in an A-to-Z encyclopedia format complete with biographical and historical details. Each entry also includes listings of original band lineups and subsequent changes, record releases, career highlights, and cross-references with related bands and artists."
United States Barnes & Noble reviewer, David Turkalo, found that although it was written solidly and had "a surprising number of Australian-American connections", it was too specialised for general American library patrons.
The book has a similar title to the 1978 work by Noel McGrath, Australian Encyclopaedia of Rock and Pop.
- "McFarlane, Ian, 1959–". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop". Allen & Unwin. December 1999. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "Australian Music Books" (PDF). Australian Music Guide. March 2004. p. 4. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop, Ian McFarlane, Book". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- Turkalo, David M. "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop, Ian McFarlane, Book". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- Noel McGrath's Australian encyclopaedia of rock & pop / Noel McGrath. National Library of Australia. ISBN 0-7270-1909-0. Retrieved 31 May 2009.