Endgame (TV series)
|Created by||Avrum Jacobson|
|Directed by||David Frazee|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Michael Shepard
|Location(s)||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Thunderbird Films
Front Street Pictures
|Picture format||HDTV 720p|
|Original run||March 14, 2011– June 13, 2011|
Endgame (typographically stylized ENDGAMƎ) is a Canadian drama television series that premiered on the Showcase Television network on Monday, March 14, 2011. The series is developed and produced by Thunderbird Films. The series follows a fictional former World Chess Champion Arkady Balagan (Shawn Doyle), a genius who uses his analytical skills to solve crimes.
The show starts four months after the death of Balagan's fiancée Rosemary, where Balagan has developed agoraphobia. Balagan uses those faculties he honed playing chess to help him solve cases.
In the United States, the series is broadcast exclusively on Hulu.
Cast and characters
- Shawn Doyle as Arkady Balagan – a former world chess champion from Russia. While attending a world championship in Vancouver his fiancée, Rosemary, is killed by an assassin's gunfire in front of the hotel Huxley. His resultant agoraphobia makes him an "armchair detective" like Nero Wolfe or Lincoln Rhyme. Initially, he primarily makes money by charging exorbitant rates for games against "Grandmaster Arkady Balagan" on his website.
- Torrance Coombs as Sam Besht – a grad student and chess fanatic. He is Balagan's apprentice; because of Balagan's phobia Sam is the one who does the leg work to solve the cases. Sam is a smart kid with a promising future; Balagan pays Sam for his legwork by giving him more chances to play chess with Balagan.
- Patrick Gallagher as Hugo – the head of hotel security. He and Balagan have their disagreements; Hugo envies Balagan's superior capabilities solving crimes as a mere chess player while he, as a former detective, shows a lower aptitude at deduction. Hugo constantly threatens Balagan about his inability to pay his bills, and wants him to leave. Balagan deceives and outwits Hugo into helping him or staying out of his way.
- Katharine Isabelle as Danni – a bartender at the hotel. Danni serves as a source of information.
- Melanie Papalia as Pippa – younger sister of Rosemary (Balagan's deceased fiancée), she is determined to find out who killed Rosemary. She makes documentaries and keeps a video blog.
- Carmen Aguirre as Alcina – a cleaning lady at the Huxley Hotel. She is a grandmother and works overtime practically everyday. She sometimes skips work time in order to do some field work with Sam, as a favour to Mr. Balagan, who tips generously.
- Veena Sood as Barbara Stilwell – the manageress of the hotel. Barbara does not help with Balagan's cases.
In early June 2011 Showcase announced that it would not renew Endgame for a second season. This has prompted fans to start a campaign to urge Showcase to reconsider its decision. In February 2012, it was reported that Shawn Doyle had been contracted for a possible return of the series, pending continued success of its Hulu premiere. In June 2012, it was announced that the show would not be continued.
- Brioux, Bill (February 8, 2012). "More moves ahead for Hulu hit Endgame?". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 26, 2012.