Enebakk within Akershus
|• Mayor (2008)||Dag Bjerke (FrP)|
|• Total||233 km2 (90 sq mi)|
|• Land||195 km2 (75 sq mi)|
|Area rank||312 in Norway|
|• Rank||111 in Norway|
|• Density||47/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||14.5 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0229|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Enebakk is a municipality in Akershus county, Norway. It is part of the Follo traditional region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Kirkebygda. The parish of Enebak was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt).
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Enebakk farm (Old Norse: Ignarbakki), since the first church was built here. The first element is the genitive case of a river name Ign (the meaning is unknown) and the last element is bakki which means "river bank". In Norse times the parish was alternatively called Ignardalr meaning "the valley of (the river) Ign". Prior to 1921, the name was written "Enebak".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 12 December 1986. The arms are based on a drawing in the local church that dates back to the early 17th century. They show four silver crosses on a green background. It is inspired by old mural paintings in the Enebakk church from the Middle Ages. It shows four fourblades. The number four symbolizes the four parts of the municipality (see below).
Enebakk is a mere 30 kilometres (18.6 mi) from the city limits of Oslo, with easy bus-access to the country's capital. As of 2004, there are no train stations in the municipality.
- "Personnemningar til stadnamn i Noreg" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- Unger, Carl Rikard (1896). Sproglig-historiske studier (in Norwegian). Kristiania, Norge: H. Aschehoug & Co. p. 55. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- Jakobsen, Kate S. (2008-10-09). "Kommunens prioriteringer" (in Norwegian). Enebakk Avis. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- Media related to Enebakk at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of Enebakk at Wiktionary
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway
- Akershus travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Official website (Norwegian)