Enfield (CDOT station)
Former platform photographed in 2013
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||150 spaces (Proposed)|
Enfield is a proposed station in Thompsonville, Connecticut on the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Commuter Rail Line. It is proposed by the Connecticut Department of Transportation as one of three new stations that would be built for the line (along with North Haven/Hamden and Newington). Although funds for double-tracking the line and adding commuter frequencies have been found, the three stations are not currently funded.
The station is proposed to be built on Main Street at North River Street in Thompsonville, near the downtown area. Access from I-91 will be possible via CT-220. The station will consist of two 180-foot high-level platforms, each with a 100-foot shelter, connected by an elevated pedestrian bridge. A small parking lot will be built on the west side of the tracks, with a larger lot shared with the Bigelow Commons development on the east side. The station is estimated to cost $6-9.5 million.
An abandoned platform currently sits at the station site. Amtrak Connecticut Valley Service (now Northeast Regional and Shuttle) trains formerly served the station, then known primarily as Thompsonville. The station was in use by New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad then Penn Central trains before Amtrak started service on May 1, 1971. Service to Thompsonville ended on October 28, 1986, together with North Haven.
In 2004, the Recommended Action of the New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter Rail Implementation Study included the construction of a new Enfield station at Main Street. A preliminary design located parking lots on Main Street with a smaller lot east of the tracks.
Construction of double track on the line began in late 2012. However, due to a lack of available funding, Enfield station is not currently under construction and will likely not open with the rest of the line in 2016.
- "Objectives & Scope: Schedule". New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Rail Program. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- CDM Smith (24 February 2012). "Station and Layover Site Concept Plans". New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Environmental Assessment. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Wilbur Smith Associates (November 2004). "Recommended Action". New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter Rail Implementation Study. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) (1 May 1971). "Nationwide Schedules of Intercity Passenger Service". The Museum of Railway Timetables. p. 5. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- National Passenger Rail Corporation (as Amtrak) (26 October 1986). "National Train Timetables". The Museum of Railway Timetables. p. 9, 11. Retrieved 3 April 2013. Compare to April 1986 timetable
- URS. "Enfield Conceptual Site Plan". Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.