Enford shown within Wiltshire
|Population||619 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Enford is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Devizes and 14 miles (23 km) north of Salisbury. The parish includes nine small settlements along the banks of the headwaters of the River Avon. Besides Enford, these are Compton, Coombe, East Chisenbury, Fifield, Littlecott, Longstreet, West Chisenbury and New Town.
Enford is a civil parish in the area of the Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant aspects of local government. It also has an elected parish council, with mostly consultative functions.
Chisenbury Priory is Grade II* listed.
The East Chisenbury midden is a notable example of a large dump of archaeological material, dating to the 1st millennium BC. Sited on Salisbury Plain, the midden mound contains discrete layers upon layers of flint, charcoal, bones, pottery and excrement. It survives to a height of 8 feet (2.4 m) and is 460 feet (140 m) wide despite 2,500 years of weathering. The accumulation is believed by some archaeologists to have a ritual basis, with organised deposition of produce and waste being suggested as an explanation for its size and longevity. All Cannings Cross, 8 miles (13 km) to the north, is a similar site.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Enford, Wiltshire". Key to English Placenames. University of Nottingham. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "List entry - Church of All Saints and St Margaret, Enford". English Heritage. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Church of All Saints, Enford". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "List entry - Chisenbury Priory, Enford". English Heritage. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- 'Parishes: Enford', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11: Downton hundred; Elstub and Everleigh hundred (1980), pp. 115-134, retrieved 16 October 2009
- Wiltshire County Council Website page on Enford, retrieved 21 October 2004
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enford.|
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|