Eng Suey Sun Association
Eng Family Benevolent Association, also referred to as Eng Suey Sun Association (伍胥山公所), was founded by members of the Wu (伍) clan, who emigrated from China to various parts of the world, seeking a better life (References 1). Note that the Chinese surname 伍 is transliterated to a number of forms. Examples are: Wu, Ng, Eng, Ing, or Ang.
Eng Family Associations around the world are often named in honor of the common ancestor of the Wu Clan from Suzhou China, Wu Zixu (伍子胥), referring to a shrine erected for him on a mountain, 胥山, with Cantonese transliteration, Eng Suey Sun (Reference 2). Today, there are a number of Eng Family Benevolent Associations or fraternal societies all over the world They are located in Taishan Guangdong and Hong Kong, People's Republic of China; Jakarta and Medan, Indonesia; Kuala Lumpur and Penang, Malaysia; Yangon, Myanmar; Manila, Philippines; Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto, and Vancouver, Canada; and Taipei, Taiwan.
In the United States the National Eng Family Benevolent Association has its business office at 53 Waverly Place, San Francisco, California, 94108.
The Eng Suey Sun Association has additional branches in North America, including in:
- Boston, Massachusetts - Located at 22 Tyler Street (617) 482-2163 (Reference 4)
- Chicago, Illinois - Located at 245 W Alexander Street (312) 326-0221
- Los Angeles, California - Located at 418 Cottage Home Street (323) 227-8265
- New York City, New York - Located at 5 Mott Street 212-267-6556
- San Francisco, California - Located at 53 Waverly Pl 415-362-6732
- Seattle, Washington - Located at 815 S Weller Street 206-624-2796
- Toronto, Ontario - Located at 14 D'Arcy Street 416-977-3991
- Vancouver, BC - Located at 389½ E. Hastings Street 604-681-8866
1. World Eng Family Benevolent Association Official Home Page at http://www.engfamily.org/
3. Wikipedia, under "List of Chinese American Associations", section "E", for "Eng Suey Sun Association" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_American_Associations