Englewood High School (Jacksonville)
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (October 2014)|
|Englewood High School|
|Location||Jacksonville, Florida, USA|
|Colors||Black and Gold|
Rich in tradition and pride, Englewood High School was constructed in 1956 and exemplifies the concept of a "neighborhood school." Located on 37 acres (150,000 m2) on the Southside of Jacksonville, Florida, this school is one of the 21 high schools in Duval County Public School System. The school is located at 4412 Barnes Road, which is approximately 1/2 mile north of the I-95 and University Boulevard intersection. Englewood is said to have a population of about 2,000 students, which includes over 500 students from over fifty different countries.
The Englewood High School facility contains seventy-three classrooms, including technology and art buildings. On the grounds they have an auditorium, gymnasium, band and chorus wing, cafeteria, swimming pool, football stadium, two field houses, baseball and softball fields, media center, television studio, and an administrative suite.
Although Englewood is not a magnet school, they still offer their students college preparatory courses, technical/vocational training, a military science program, in addition to the specialized E.S.O.L. and E.S.E. programs, which address the unique needs of the diverse student population. Almost every classroom is equipped with student computer stations, which are connected to the internet, and a laser printer which provides students access to various computer programs to practice the skills and knowledge learned throughout the curriculum. Every teacher has a laptop for instructional use and has completed a minimum of 15 hours of training on the use of the equipment.
Englewood is now on a new scheduling where there are four different 90 minute classes every day, that goes along with their block scheduling that was introduced at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.
- Fall Sports: Varsity Football, Junior Varsity Football, Boys and Girls Golf, Girls Slow Pitch Softball, Boys and Girls Swimming, Girls Varsity & Junior Varsity Volleyball, and Boys and Girls Cross Country
- Winter Sports:Boys and Girls Varsity & Junior Varsity Soccer, Boys and Girls Varsity & Junior Varsity Basketball, Wrestling, and Girls Varsity & Junior Varsity Bowling
- Spring Sports: Boys Varsity & Junior Varsity Baseball, Girls Varsity & Junior Varsity Fast-Pitch Softball, Boys and Girls Track, and Girls Flag Football & Weightlifting
The school has an outdoor pool which is used by the athletic teams and physical education classes during the academic year; then it becomes a free public pool operated by the City of Jacksonville Parks & Recreation Department during the summer months.
- Ryan Freel, Professional baseball player, Cincinnati Reds
- Rashean Mathis, Professional football player, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Brett Myers, Professional baseball player, Philadelphia Phillies
- Fred Durst, Musician, Limp Bizkit
- Daniel Murphy, Professional baseball player, New York Mets
- Butch Trucks, drummer, The Allman Brothers Band
- Ray Nettles, Canadian Football League Hall of Famer
- Kelly Kelly, Professional wrestler, WWE Raw
- Willie Smith, Professional football player, Miami Dolphins
- Shelby Rossa, Future Power Ranger
- Englewood High School Web site
- Duval County Public Schools Web site
- Englewood High School Information and Stats