|Directed by||Kichitaro Negishi|
|Written by||Haruiko Arai|
|October 24, 1981|
Enrai is a low-key study of a farmer, Mitsuo Wada, in 1980s Japan when modernization and urbanization were threatening rural areas. After his father leaves his wife to run off with his mistress, Mitsuo struggles to preserve his livelihood with the help of his mother, grandmother, and his arranged marriage bride, Ayako.
- Toshiyuki Nagashima as Mitsuo Wada
- Johnny Okura (ジョニー大倉?) as Hirotsugu Nakamori
- Eri Ishida as Ayako Hanamori
- Rie Yokoyama (横山リエ?) as Kaede
- Casey Takamine (ケーシー高峰?) as Mitsuo's father
- Reiko Nanao (七尾伶子?) as Mitsuo's mother
- Sen Hara (原泉?) as Mitsuo's grandmother
- Yumiko Fujita as Chii
- Keizō Kanie as Kaede's husband
Enrai is based on the 1980 novel of the same name by Wahei Tatematsu. The film, financed by ATG, Nikkatsu, and the smaller Nikkatsu-related company New Century Producers, marked director Negishi's breakthrough into mainstream film after several Roman porno features for Nikkatsu. Enrai was released in Japan as a VHS tape by Pioneer LDC (パイオニアLDC?) in July 1998 and subsequently as a DVD in February 2008 by Geneon Entertainment (ジェネオン エンタテインメント?).
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Director - Kichitaro Negishi
- Won: Best Screenplay - Haruiko Arai
- Won: Best Cinematography - Shouhei Andou
- Won: Best Actor - Toshiyuki Nagashima
- Jacoby, Alexander (2008). A Critical Handbook of Japanese Film Directors. Berkeley: Stone Bridge Press. p. 213. ISBN 978-1-933330-53-2.
- Sharp, Jasper (2008). Behind the Pink Curtain: The Complete History of Japanese Sex Cinema. Guildford: FAB Press. p. 237. ISBN 978-1-903254-54-7.
- "遠雷 (VHS)" (in Japanese). www.amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "遠雷 (DVD)" (in Japanese). www.amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- 第３回ヨコハマ映画祭 １９８１年日本映画個人賞 (in Japanese). Yokohama Film Festival. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- "Hochi Awards Table" (in Japanese). Cinema Hochi. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Enrai" (in Japanese). JMDB.
- "Enrai at AllCinema" (in Japanese).
- Enrai at the Internet Movie Database
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|