Enschede railway station
|Opened||1 July 1866|
Enschede is the main railway station in Enschede, the Netherlands. The station opened on 1 July 1866 and is on the Zutphen–Glanerbeek railway. Between the late 1970s and 2001, the passenger service to Germany stopped. The connection to Münster was re-opened in 2001. There is no connection allowing the German trains to run any further into Overijssel; however there was before the line closed.
From summer 2013 to summer 2014 the station is being largely modernised. The station was closed between 6 July and 18 August 2013, in which all the rails and overhead wires were replaced at the station. Platforms 1 and 2 were extended; platform 5 was closed. Platform 4 has been split in two, one part for the trains to Germany and the other part for the Sprinters. The two lines are still not connected. The sidings for stabling trains were also replaced and points replaced to reduce the noise made as trains pass over them.
The following services call at Enschede:
- 1x per hour Intercity services Schiphol - Amersfoort - Hengelo - Enschede
- 1x per hour Intercity service The Hague - Utrecht - Amersfoort - Hengelo - Enschede
- 2x per hour local service (stoptrein) Apeldoorn - Deventer - Almelo - Hengelo - Enschede
- 2x per hour local service (stoptrein) Zwolle - Almelo - Hengelo - Enschede
- 1x per hour local service (Regionalbahn) Enschede - Gronau - Coesfeld - Lünen - Dortmund
- 1x per hour local service (Regionalbahn) Enschede - Gronau - Münster
|Preceding station||Nederlandse Spoorwegen||Following station|
|NS Intercity 1600||Terminus|
toward Den Haag Centraal
|NS Intercity 1700||Terminus|
|NS Sprinter 7000||Terminus|
|NS Sprinter 7900||Terminus|
|Preceding station||Deutsche Bahn||Following station|
toward Dortmund Hbf
toward Münster Hbf
From 9 December 2012 Enschede no longer has a direct connection to Rotterdam on weekdays; a change of trains is required in Utrecht.
Many bus services depart from the bus station in front of the station, many carrying a red Twents livery, for the Twente region (Eastern Overijssel).