|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) is an enterprise file and email archiving program created by Symantec. It is part of the company's "Information Foundation" suite. Enterprise Vault has the ability to archive from various sources such as Microsoft Exchange, SMTP devices, Lotus Domino, Microsoft Sharepoint and File Systems with the ability to store on a multiple of storage platforms, such as; NTFS, NetApp, Centera, CIFS and WORM. The data archived is indexed, classified, de-duplicated and securely stored.
Enterprise Vault was originally developed at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) by a group of developers who had previously been the engineering team for Digital's VMS based ALL-IN-1 office and messaging system. After DEC was acquired by Compaq Computer Corporation the Enterprise Vault team was terminated just after Version 1 of the product was shipped.
Technical Director Nigel Dutt acquired rights to the product using funding from venture capitalists and formed kVault Software Limited in late 1999 to sell and develop the software. The four years from 2000–2004 saw improved sales and eventual acquisition by VERITAS Software in 2004. Veritas was subsequently acquired by Symantec.
Enterprise Vault was originally part of Symantec's "Enterprise Messaging Management" group (created after Symantec acquired VERITAS in 2005). Currently Enterprise Vault is part of the "Information Management Group" (IMG) along with the NetBackup and BackupExec products. Much of the original KVS Engineering team of Development and QA still work on Enterprise Vault, based in Reading (UK) and Pune (India). Symantec support centers with Enterprise Vault support engineers are located globally.
- Enterprise Vault 8.0 was released in Dec 2008.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 RTM was 13 August 2010. v9.0 added support for Microsoft Exchange 2010 and Microsoft Sharepoint 2010.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP1 RTM was 26 November 2010. v9.0 SP1 added support for Outlook 2010.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP2 RTM was 23 March 2011.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP3 RTM was 28 November 2011. v9.0 SP3 adding support for IPv6 and FIPS 140-2 Compliance.
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 RTM was 15 July 2011. v10.0 added an enhanced and greatly scalable 64-bit indexing engine.
- Symantec bundles archiving and security:http://www.infostor.com/display_article/295641/23/ARTCL/none/none/Symantec-bundles-archiving-and-security/
- VERITAS News Release: http://www.tornado-insider.com/radar/compShow.asp?compID=5717
- Symantec News Release: http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20050705_01
- Official Product Page
- List of supported platforms, hardware and archiving targets
- Recommended hardware requirements and associated performance figures
- Enterprise Vault history 1997-2004