|Editor-in-Chief||Amy C. Cosper|
|Company||Entrepreneur Media, Inc.|
|Based in||Irvine, California|
Entrepreneur is a North American publication that carries news stories about entrepreneurialism, small business management, and business opportunities. It is published by Entrepreneur Media Inc., headquartered in Irvine, California. The magazine publishes 12 issues annually, available through subscription and on newsstands, and includes sections such as Tech, Money, Sell, and Lead. It is published under license in countries around the world, including Mexico, Russia, India, Hungary, the Philippines and South Africa. Its editor-in-chief is Amy Cosper and its owner is Peter Shea.
In 1997, the magazine launched its website, Entrepreneur.com, which has now expanded to include features, contests and other publications and spin-offs. The website receives more than six million unique visitors each month.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2014)|
Each year Entrepreneur runs a contest to find entrepreneurs who make a positive impact in their industry, company and community through a submission and review process.
2009 Award winners
- Entrepreneur of 2009: Rick Alden, founder of Skullcandy
- Emerging Entrepreneur of 2009: Kelly Giard, founder and CEO of Clean Air Lawn Care
- College Entrepreneur of 2009: Bradley Ericson, of Drexel University's Bennett S. LeBow College of Business
2010 Award winners
- Entrepreneur of 2010: Daniel Lubetzky, founder of New York's KIND Healthy Snacks
- Emerging Entrepreneur of 2010: Derek Zobrist, of Enovative Kontrol Systems
- College Entrepreneur of 2010: Allen Kim, of the University of Michigan
2011 Award winners
- Entrepreneur of 2011: Lee Rhodes, founder of glassybaby
- Emerging Entrepreneur of 2011: Adam Nelson, creator of the Good Nite Lite
- College Entrepreneur of 2011: Gabrielle Palermo, of Arizona State University
2012 Award winners
- Entrepreneur of 2012: Limor Fried, founder of Adafruit Industries
- Emerging Entrepreneur of 2012: Jason Lucash, founder of Origaudio
- College Entrepreneur of 2012: Bryan Silverman, founder of Star Toilet Paper
Top Entrepreneurship Programs
In collaboration with the Princeton Review, Entrepreneur lists the Princeton Review's annual ranking of the 50 best entrepreneurship programs in the United States. Each year, the top 25 undergraduate and top 25 graduate entrepreneurship programs are ranked based on surveys and data analysis of schools.
Other Publications and Spin-offs
- Entrepreneur publishes the Entrepreneur StartUps Magazine, available through subscription and on newsstands.
- The magazine publishes a blog, which is managed by a dedicated online staff.
- It is also published in digital editions through its mobile apps available on iOS, Android, Kindle and Nook devices.
- In 1999, YoungEntrepreneur.com was created as a spin-off of Entrepreneur.com. It is an online forum and provides resources for young entrepreneurs and startup founders.
- In 2010, Entrepreneur launched SecondAct.com, which is targeted towards an older audience. It is aimed at people who want "major change in their lives", according to Ryan Shea, the corporate publisher and vice president of Entrepreneur Media Inc.
- In early 2013, the magazine company announced a partnership with Mimvi, Inc. to launch TrepLabs™, an app discovery program for mobile app developers.
Entrepreneur publishes books for small business people, through its Entrepreneur Press division, featuring a backlist of over 200 titles in categories such as franchising, wealth building, startups, sales and marketing, and home businesses. The books are available at the magazine's online bookstore. Authors can submit book proposals online.
The company has been involved in many lawsuits regarding its trademark on the word 'entrepreneur', suing a wide variety of entities for using the word. The trademark has generally attracted criticism for being on a commonly used word for which there is no substitute, and the aggressiveness with which it is applied has been noted as somewhat ironic; Business Week asked "why would the publisher of Entrepreneur magazine be bullying entrepreneurs?"
- Entrepreneur Media, Inc. (2013) Company Overview. Retrieved April 2, 2013 from http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4592213
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "Contact Us." Entrepreneur. Retrieved on December 10, 2009.
- Entrepreneur Magazine Online, South Africa (2012) About us. Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneurmag.co.za/about-us/
- Entrepreneur Media Kit. (2013) About us. Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/mediakit/about
- PRNewsire (2013, March 25) "Mimvi and Entrepreneur Media Join Forces to Launch App Developer Crowdfunding and Discovery Program, TrepLabs™." [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.cnbc.com/id/100587633
- Entrepreneur. (2013) "About the Franchise 500®". Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/franchise500/about.html
- Entrepreneur. (2013) "College & Business Schools." Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/topcolleges/index.html
- The Princeton Review. (2012, September 24). "Top Entrepreneurship Programs Press Release." [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.princetonreview.com/top-entrepreneurial-press-release.aspx
- Entrepreneur. (2013) "Startups Magazine." Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/startups/index.html
- Entrepreneur. (2013) Entrepreneur Digital Edition and Apps. Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/page/217251
- Young Entrepreneur. (2013) "About." Retrieved from http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/about-us/
- Fell, Jason. (2010, January 1) "Entrepreneur Magazine To Take on AARP with New Web Site." Retrieved from http://www.foliomag.com/2010/entrepreneur-magazine-take-aarp-new-web-site
- Entrepreneur (2013) "About Entrepreneur Press." Retrieved from http://www.entrepreneur.com/entrepreneurpress/
- Edmonston, Peter. (2006, December 11). "In Web Traffic Tallies, Intruders Can Say You Visited Them." The New York Times.
- Bryan Wassel (October 30, 2007). "Entrepreneur Media Tangles again with Scott Smith--Another Chapter in a Long Relationship". MIN online.
- Barrett, P. M. (2011, May 19). "Entrepreneur, the magazine that sues entrepreneurs." Business Week.