Epsom and Ewell (UK Parliament constituency)
|Epsom and Ewell|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Epsom and Ewell in Surrey for the 2010 general election.
Location of Surrey within England.
|Electorate||76,916 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Epsom, Ewell and Ashtead|
|Member of Parliament||Chris Grayling (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The seat contains:
- The whole of the borough of Epsom and Ewell.
- Ashtead in the Mole Valley district
- Nork and Tattenhams in the Borough of Reigate and Banstead.
- Historic boundaries
Before 1997 it lacked Ashtead but instead included Banstead from Reigate and Banstead. As the borough is small and includes steeply undulating parts such as Epsom Downs it has consistently contained areas in neighbouring Surrey districts.
- Latest boundary change
In 2005, the Boundary Commission's report led to changes for 2010. The boundary with Mole Valley moves slightly on the uninhabited portions of land by the M25 motorway adjoining Ashtead and Leatherhead, in line with local government wards. The Preston ward (in Tadworth) was transferred to Reigate to bring that constituency's electorate closer to the county average.
The constituency was established for the February 1974 general election, forming the centre of the previous Epsom constituency. Epsom had been held by a Conservative since its creation in the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885.
In Westminster elections, Epsom and Ewell is one of the strongest Conservative areas in the country. However locally the borough council is controlled by the Epsom and Ewell Residents Association, with the Conservatives lacking a firm base here and until recently rarely the party contested local elections. There are also a number of Residents Association councillors in the Reigate & Banstead wards in the constituency, although Mole Valley lacks Residents Association councillors.
The seat is not expected to change hands in normal circumstances, unless there is a beyond landslide win for a non-Conservative party.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||constituency created|
|Feb 1974||Peter Rawlinson||Conservative|
|1978 by-election||Sir Archie Hamilton||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Epsom and Ewell |
|Liberal Democrat||Steve Gee|
|General Election 2010: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Lees||14,734||26.8||+5.3|
|Radical Reform||Peter Ticher||266||0.5||0.5|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Lees||10,699||21.4||-0.7|
|General Election 2001: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal Democrat||John Vincent||10,316||22.1||-0.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal Democrat||John Vincent||12,380||22.8||-0.7|
|Referendum Party||Christopher Macdonald||2,355||4.3|
|ProLife Alliance||Katherine Weeks||466||0.9|
|General Election 1992: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal Democrat||Martin P. Emerson||12,840||23.5||+0.3|
|Labour||Richard A. Warren||8,577||15.7||+1.2|
|Natural Law||GD Hatchard||334||0.6||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal||Margaret Jane Joachim||12,384||23.24|
|General Election 1983: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal||Michael Alexander John Anderson||13,542||26.62|
Elections in the 1970s
|General Election 1979: Epsom and Ewell|
|By election 1978: Epsom and Ewell|
|Liberal||Michael Alexander John Anderson||5,673||12.78||-13.85|
|National Front||James Sawyer||823||1.85||N/A|
|General Election October 1974: Epsom and Ewell|
|General Election February 1974: Epsom and Ewell|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2005 Guardian Profile
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Matharu, Hardeep (19 August 2014). "Ex-Residents' Association councillor selected as UKIP candidate for General Election". This Is Local London. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Statement of Persons Nominated, Epsom and Ewell Borough Council
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983 - 1992 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1992 - 2005 (Guardian)
- Election results, 1951 - 1979 (Keele University)