|Traded as||NSE: EQTY
|Industry||Banking and Finance|
|Predecessors||Equity Building Society (EBS)|
Upper Hill – Hospital Road, Equity Centre, 9th floor
|Key people||Mr. Peter Munga, CBS, Chairman
Dr. James Mwangi, CBS, managing director & CEO
|Products||Loans, Mortgages Investments, Debit Cards, Credit Cards|
|Revenue||: Aftertax: US$89.9 million (KES:7.55 billion) (2010)|
|Total assets||US$1.6 billion (KES:133.9 billion) (2010)|
Equity Bank is a financial services provider headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It is one of the forty-four (44) commercial banks licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya, the national banking regulator. As of October 2010[update], Equity Bank had the largest customer base in Kenya, with over 5.7 million accounts (57%+ of all bank accounts in Kenya in 2010). According to the bank's audited financial report for the year ended 31 December 2010, the shareholder's equity in the bank was valued at approximately US$336.7 million (KES:28.3 billion).
Equity Bank Group
Equity Bank Group is a large financial services group in East Africa, with an asset base estimated at over US$1.5 billion, and shareholders' equity in excess of US$237 million, as of June 2010. The companies that comprise the Equity Bank Group include the following:
- Equity Bank – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Bank (Rwanda) – Kigali, Rwanda
- Equity Bank (South Sudan) – Juba, South Sudan
- Equity Bank (Tanzania) – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Equity Bank (Uganda) – Kampala, Uganda
- Equity Consulting Group Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Insurance Agency Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Nominees Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Investment Services Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Finserve Africa Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Group Foundation – Nairobi, Kenya
Shares of the stock of Equity Bank Group, the parent company of Equity Bank, are listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE), under the symbol EQTY. The Group's stock is also cross-listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), under the symbol EBL.
Equity Bank was first incorporated in 1984, as Equity Building Society. Later, Equity transformed into a microfinance institution and eventually into a commercial bank. Starting in 2008, Equity Bank started regional expansion by taking 100% shareholding in Uganda Microfinance Limited (UML), a profitable microfinance institution with twenty-eight (28) full-service branches and fourteen (14) agency branches, for a share-acquisition deal valued at approximately US$25.3 million. UML was renamed Equity Bank (Uganda) and started operating under the new name in April 2009. Also in 2008, Equity Bank obtained regulatory approval to open a subsidiary in South Sudan. and in November 2011, Equity Bank commenced operations in Rwanda, launching officially in February 2012. As of April 2012[update], the bank has one hundred and thirty five (135) branches in Kenya, thirty eight (38) in Uganda, seven (10) in Rwanda, four (4) in South Sudan and two (2) in Tanzania.
As of April 2012, the shares of stock of Equity Bank Group, the parent company of Equity Bank, are listed on both the Nairobi Stock Exchange and the Uganda Securities Exchange. The detailed shareholding in Equity Bank Group is not publicly known. As of December 2013, the largest shareholder of the Equity Bank Group is Helios EB Investors with 24.45% followed by Britam at 7.12%, Equity Bank Employees Scheme at 3.74% and James Njuguna Mwangi (CEO and Managing Director) at 3.45%. Overall James Mwangi owns 4.88% directly and indirectly through his investments in the Employee Scheme and Britam.
Equity Bank maintains a network of 135 branches across Kenya, which includes 38 branches in Nairobi.
The thirteen (13) member board of directors is chaired by Mr. Peter Munga, CBS one of the non-executive directors. Dr. James Mwangi, CBS, serves as the managing director and chief executive officer of the bank.
- Equity Bank Group
- Equity Bank (Rwanda)
- Equity Bank (South Sudan)
- Equity Bank (Tanzania)
- Equity Bank (Uganda)
- List of banks in Kenya
- Central Bank of Kenya
- Audited December 2010 Annual Report
- List of Licensed Commercial Banks In Kenya
- Equity Bank Has Largest Customer Base In Kenya
- 2010 Audited Annual Financial Report
- About Equity Bank Group
- Members Of Equity Bank Group
- History of Equity Bank
- Equity Bank Buys UML For USD25.3 Million
- Uganda Microfinance Limited Rebrands To Equity Bank (Uganda)
- Kenya's Equity Bank Expands To South Sudan
- Equity Bank Commences Operations in Rwanda
- Equity Bank in Massive Rwanda Expansion
- Board of Directors of Equity Bank