Equity Bank Kenya Limited
|Headquarters||9th Floor, Equity Centre
Hospital Road, Upper Hill
|Key people||Peter Kahara Munga
Managing Director & CEO
|Products||Loans, Mortgages Investments, Debit Cards, Credit Cards|
|Revenue||: Aftertax: US$142.72 million (KES:12.64 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$3.21 billion (KES:284.37 billion) (Q3:2014)|
|Parent||Equity Group Holdings Limited|
Equity Bank Kenya Limited, is a financial services provider headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It is licensed as a commercial bank, by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank and national banking regulator.
Equity Bank Kenya Limited was incorporated in 2014 as a result of the corporate restructure of Equity Bank Group. Prior to November 2014, Equity Bank Group operated both as a licensed bank and a holding company for its subsidiaries.
On October 31, 2014, Equity Bank announced its intention to incorporate a new wholly owned subsidiary, Equity Bank Kenya Limited, to which it would transfer its Kenyan banking business, assets and liabilities. The rationale for the re-organisation is that by converting Equity Bank Group into a non-trading holding company (as defined under the Banking Act) that owns both banking and non-banking subsidiary companies and provides strategic, brand, risk and talent management to its subsidiaries, the Group will be better placed to invest and to develop the existing and new businesses as part of its third phase of growth and transformation.
During an extra-ordinary shareholders general meeting held on November 24, 2014, it was resolved to adopt the proposed restructure thus leading to the formation of Equity Bank Kenya Limited.
Equity Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of Equity Bank Group. Making it a member of the Equity Bank Group.
Equity Group Holdings Limited
The Equity Bank Kenya Limited's parent company, the Equity Group Holdings Limited, has a customer base in excess of 9.2 million in the six East Arican countries that it serves, making it the largest commercial bank on the African continent, by customer numbers. Equity Bank Group is a large financial services conglomerate in East Africa, with an asset base estimated at over US$3.83 billion (KES:339.44 billion), and shareholders' equity in excess of US$644.6 million (KES:57.1 billion), as of 30 September 2014. The companies that comprise the Equity Bank Group include the following:
- Equity Bank Kenya Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Bank Rwanda Limited – Kigali, Rwanda
- Equity Bank South Sudan Limited – Juba, South Sudan
- Equity Bank Tanzania Limited – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Equity Bank Uganda Limited – Kampala, Uganda
- Equity Consulting Group Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Insurance Agency Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Nominees Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Investment Services Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Finserve Africa Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Group Foundation – Nairobi, Kenya
Shares of the stock of Equity Group Holdings Limited, the parent company of Equity Bank, are listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE), under the symbol EQTY. The Group's stock is also cross-listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), under the symbol EBL.
Equity Bank maintains a network of 135 branches across Kenya, which includes 38 branches in Nairobi.
- Equity Bank Group
- Equity Bank (Rwanda)
- Equity Bank (South Sudan)
- Equity Bank (Tanzania)
- Equity Bank (Uganda)
- List of banks in Kenya
- Central Bank of Kenya
- EBG, . (March 1014). "Audited December 2013 Annual Report". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- CBK, . "Central Bank of Kenya: Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies". Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- EBG, . (31 October 2014). "Circular To Shareholders for The Transfer of The Kenyan Banking Business To A Newly Created, Wholly Owned Subsidiary". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Results of the Extra-ordinary General Meeting of Equity Bank Limited held on 24th November, 2014". http://equitybankgroup.com/. Equity Bank Group. November 24, 2014. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- Flood, Zoe (3 July 2014). "Kenya's Mobile Innovation Brings Digital Money Closer". BBC News. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- EBG, . (October 2014). "Equity Bank Group Financial Statement As At 30th September 2014". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- EBG, . "Equity Bank Kenya: Board of Directors". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.