Equity Bank Uganda Limited
|Key people||David Ansell
|Products||Loans, checking, savings, investments|
|Revenue||Aftertax: US$2.66 million (UGX:6.6 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$146.3 million (UGX:370 billion) (2013)|
|Parent||Equity Group Holdings Limited|
The bank provides banking services to individuals and to small and medium business enterprises. As of December 2013[update], the bank was the 14th largest commercial bank in Uganda with an estimated asset valuation of approximately US$146.3 million (UGX:370 billion), or approximately 2% of all bank assets in the country, at that time.
Equity Bank Uganda Limited was created in 2008 when the Equity Bank Group purchased Uganda Microfinance Limited, a Tier II, Ugandan microfinance company for an all-share price valued at US$27 million. Equity Bank (Uganda) launched under its new brand on March 30, 2009. As of December 2011, Equity Bank (Uganda) had a customer base of approximately 500,000 and employed over 550 people.
Equity Group Holdings Limited
Equity Bank Uganda Limited is a member of the Equity Group Holdings Limited. As of March 2014[update], Equity Group Holdings Limited had an asset base valued at over US$3.45 billion (KES:295 billion), with a total customer base in excess of 8.7 million, in the region. The stock of the Equity Group Holdings Limited is listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE), where it trades under the symbol EQTY. It is also cross-listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), under the symbol: EBL. Members of the Equity Group Holdings Limited include the following companies:
- Equity Bank - Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Bank Rwanda Limited - Kigali, Rwanda
- Equity Bank South Sudan Limited - Juba, South Sudan
- Equity Bank Tanzania Limited - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Equity Bank Uganda Limited- Kampala, Uganda
- Equity Consulting Group Limited - Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Nominees Limited - Nairobi, Kenya
- Finserve Africa Limited - Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Group Foundation - Nairobi, Kenya
In addition to the above subsidiaries, Equity Group Holdings Limited has investments in the following companies:
- Housing Finance Company Limited - Nairobi, Kenya - A mortgage company: Equity Bank Group owns 25%
- Equity Investment Bank - Nairobi, Kenya: Equity Bank Group has 100% shareholding
- Equity Insurance Company - Nairobi, Kenya: Equity Bank Group has 100% shareholding
Equity Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Equity Group Holdings Limited (EGHL). The Ugandan subsidiary owns 11,333,333 ordinary shares of the parent company based in Nairobi, Kenya. EGHL is a large Kenyan financial services conglomerate, with total assets of nearly US$4 billion, as at September 2014.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Equity Group Holdings Limited||98.8|
Equity Bank Uganda Limited has its headquarters in Uganda's capital city, Kampala. Its branch network is the fourth-largest in Uganda, after Stanbic Bank Uganda with 91 branches, Centenary Bank with 46 and Barclays Bank with 44. As of April 2014[update], the bank maintains networked branches at the following locations:
- Head Office - Plot 390 Muteesa 1 Road, Kampala
- Adjumani Branch - Adjumani
- Arua Park Branch - Arua Park, Kampala
- Bombo Branch - Bombo, Luweero District
- Busia Branch - Busia
- Bwera Branch - Bwera, Kasese District
- Hoima Branch - Hoima
- Jinja Branch - Jinja
- Jinja Road Branch - Jinja Road, Kampala
- Kabalagala Branch - Kabalagala, Kampala
- Kabale Branch - Kabale
- Kajjansi Branch - Kajjansi, Wakiso District
- Kalerwe Branch - Kaleerwe, Kampala
- Kasangati Branch - Kasangati, Wakiso District
- Katwe Branch - Katwe, Kampala
- Kawempe Branch - Kawempe, Kampala
- Kayunga Branch - Kayunga
- Kiboga Branch - Kiboga
- Kisoro Branch - Bunagana Road, Kisoro
- Kyengera Branch - Kyengera, Wakiso District
- Lira Branch - Soroti Road, Lira
- Luweero Branch - Gulu Highway, Luweero
- Lyantonde Branch - Lyantonde
- Market Street Branch - Market Street, Kampala
- Masindi Branch - Town Street, Masindi
- Mbale Branch - Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - Mbarara
- Mityana Branch - Mityana
- Mubende Branch - Mubende
- Nakulabye Branch - Makerere Hill Road, Naakulabye
- New Taxi Park Branch - New Taxi Park, Kampala
- Ndeeba Branch - Ndeeba, Kampala
- Oasis Mall Branch - Oasis Mall, Kampala
- Ovino Branch - Nakivubo Place, Kampala
- Rushere Branch - Rushere, Kiruhura District
- Tororo Branch - Tororo
- Venus Plaza Branch - Venus Plaza, 14-18 Nakivubo Place, Kampala
- Wandegeya Branch - Wandegeya, Kampala
- William Street Branch - William Street, Kampala
- "The Board of Directors At Equity Bank Uganda". Equity Bank Uganda. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Kulabako, Faridah (24 April 2014). "More Local Banks Record Profits Despite Increase In Bad Loans". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- BOU, . (2013). "Licensed Commercial Banks In Uganda". Bank of Uganda (BOU). Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- ., . (13 June 2014). "Banking: East versus West Africa". TheAfricaReport.com. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Nyambura-Mwaura, Helen (18 April 2008). "Kenya's Equity Bank To Buy Uganda Microfinance". Reuters. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Nicoline, van Slingelandt (7 April 2009). "FMO Client Equity Bank Kenya Launches Banking Operations In Uganda". FMO. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Kangethe, Kennedy (17 April 2014). "Equity Group In 20 Percent Profit Rise to Sh3.8 Billion". Capital FM Online (Nairobi) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Equity Bank Group Page At USE Website". Uganda Securities Exchange. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Newvision, Archive (28 May 2009). "Equity Bank Group To Grow 40% In 2009". New Vision. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "History of Housing Finance Company of Kenya". Housing Finance Company of Kenya. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Numbers of Ugandan Bank Branches
- EBUL, . "Branches of Equity Bank Uganda Limited". Equity Bank Uganda Limited (EBUL). Retrieved 25 April 2014.