Erbach an der Donau
Erbach about 1920
|• Mayor||Achim Gaus|
|• Total||63.92 km2 (24.68 sq mi)|
|Elevation||529 m (1,736 ft)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Erbach an der Donau is a town on the Danube River in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Located in the Alb-Donau District, Erbach lies between Ulm and Ehingen an der Donau on the southern edge of the Swabian Jura.
Erbach was first mentioned in the Konstanz Tithe Book in 1275 as a parish called Irlebach, although findings dating from the Neolithic Age indicate the area around Erbach was settled earlier. Erbach received town privileges on 1 August 2002.
In 1972 the community Ringingen was incorporated into Erbach. In the course of community reforms in 1974 the communities Bach, Dellmensingen, Donaurieden and Ersingen were also incorporated into Erbach.
The mayor of Erbach is elected for eight-year terms. The election of 13 June 2004 gave the following division of electoral seats:
- CDU - 41,9% (+1,2) - 12 seats(+2)
- FW - 32,3% (-6,4) - 9 seats (-1)
- SPD - 18,2% (-2,4) - 5 seats (=)
- the Greens 7,6% (+7,6) - 2 seats (+2)
Erbach lies on the Bundesstraße 311 road between Ulm and Ehingen. It is also located on a rail line of the Württembergian South Rail between Ulm and Lindau. Erbach is part of the Danube-Iller Traffic Network, in whose tariff region the South Rail between Ulm and Bad Schussenried belongs to. Erbach has an airfield used by many private pilots from Ulm.
Erbach is located on the Upper Swabian Baroque Route as well as the Way of St. James. The most prominent sight is the Renaissance Erbach Castle, dating from the early 16th century. The castle was the residence of the Freiherren of Ulm in Erbach. Next to the castle is the Baroque Church of St. Martin from 1767.
Dellmensingen Castle is an early Baroque castle in Dellmensingen.
- Joseph von Egle (1818–1899), architect, builder of the polytechnical school and the Church of St. Mary in Stuttgart
- Joseph Eberle, missionary in Africa
- Phillip Roth, honorable town speaker
- [Statistisches Bundesamt – Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012 (XLS-Datei; 4,0 MB) (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011) "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012"]. Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 12 November 2013.
- Municipal website (German)