Moralioğlu was born in Montreal, Canada to a Turkish father and an English mother and grew up between Montreal and Birmingham, England. He earned a B.A. in fashion from Ryerson University in Toronto and then worked as an intern for Vivienne Westwood. Moralioğlu moved to London in 2000 to study fashion at the Royal College of Art. Upon receiving his master's degree in 2003, he proceeded to go onto closing the 2003 RCA show with his graduate collection He then moved to New York where he worked alongside Diane von Furstenberg before relocating back to London to launch his own label in 2005. His imaginative debut collection won him the £100,000 Fashion Fringe prize and he has staged four London Fashion Week shows as well as being awarded with the Swarovski British Fashion Council Fashion Enterprise Award in 2007. His label "Erdem" is now sold globally in more than 50 premiere department and specialty stores including Barney's throughout the United States and Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Liberty & Co. in the United Kingdom. In 2009 Cutler and Gross collaborated with Erdem to create a collection of sunglasses for the Spring/Summer 2010 collection. The collection was inspired by an image of a Japanese fisherwoman dressed in brightly printed shorts charging out from the waves across black sand. The glasses are a juxtaposition of vibrant colour pops with darker backgrounds on a sixties style round frame. The sunglasses were created in black, black lace, tortoise, neutral stone and Erdem’s customised Kyoto print.In 2010, Moralioğlu was awarded the inaugural British Fashion Council/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund which included a £200,000 prize which is the biggest sum ever awarded to a fashion designer in the United Kingdom.
His clothes are worn by many celebrities such as Marion Cotillard, Michelle Williams, Julianne Moore, Anne Hathaway, Alicia Vikander, Keira Knightley, Kate Middleton, Rashida Jones, Emma Stone and Sarah Jessica Parker. Most recently Royal Ballet Principal dancer Lauren Cuthbertson wore an Erdem dress to the 2015 Laurence Olivier Awards.
Moralioğlu has received numerous prestigious awards including:
- 2005: Fashion Fringe Award
- 2007: The Swarovski British Fashion Council Fashion Enterprise Award
- 2008: The BFC's Fashion Forward Award
- 2009: Fashion Future Award
- 2010: BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund
- Vogue. "Erdem Moralioglu". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Hello Magazine. "Erdem Moralioglu". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- W Magazine. "Erdem Moralioglu: The English Channel". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- London Fashion Week. "Erdem" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- V&A. "Erdem Moralioglu". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- British Fashion Council. "BFC ANNOUNCES WINNER OF THE BFC/VOGUE FASHION FUND" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Telegraph (2010-03-31). "Erdem wins first British Fashion Council/ Vogue Designer Fashion Fund Award". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- The Times (31 March 2010). "Flower dressing: why Erdem is a winner". London. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Vogue. "The First Fund". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- The Independent (15 September 2008). "Star in the making: Designer Erdem Moralioglu". London. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Style. "Erdem". Retrieved 2011-02-27.