Erebus haunted attraction
Erebus Haunted Attraction opened in 2000 in what was formerly an abandoned four-story parking garage in Pontiac. The parking structure was abandoned for nearly 50 years before Erebus, and was used as an indoor junkyard. The owners operated other haunted attractions prior to Erebus, and began the publication of Fear Finder, a seasonal publication, to serve as a central hub for all haunted houses in Michigan to advertise and allow the people interested to locate them easily.
Erebus changes the basic effects and events from year to year, but the main theme stays the same. Patrons are sent through time by a scientist where they experience many different eras in history. The actors along the walkthrough push the boundaries of privacy and how to "touch' the visitors without actually laying a hand on anyone by utilizing props, animatronics, and massive puppets. In one of the events, a 6-foot (1.8 m) dragon comes out from the gloom and eats the patron. Some of the other effects utilize mirrors, and include a moving wall pushing patrons toward a bottomless pit, as well as burying them alive.
The Metro Detroit area is home to many haunted and Halloween attractions, including Erebus. Erebus occupies 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) and uses 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2) of that for storing props. The haunted attraction occupies multiple stories including an elevator. The production hires about 70 actors as well as uses animatronics resembling animals and monsters. Erebus uses these animatronics to bypass the “no-touch” safety rules, as well as other techniques such as dropping fake bugs from the ceiling, making building structures move. Erebus also uses landscape changes throughout the walk-through including inclines, stairwells, narrow passages, low ceilings and trap doors. Erebus also mounts electronic props such as lasers, lights, and mirrors to create visual obstruction and manipulation.
- 2005–09: This four-story attraction was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records as the "World's Largest Walk-Through Haunted Attraction".
- 2009: Click on Detroit voted Erebus the "#1 Best Haunted House in Detroit".
- 2010: Rated Number 1 as America’s best haunted house.
- Armstrong, Ben (May 28, 2005). "Erebus: 4 Story Haunted Attraction". halloweenattractions.com. Hauntworld Inc. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- Armstrong, Ben. "Erebus Article" (PDF). Pontiac: Netherworld Haunted House. [full citation needed]
- "Erebus 4 Story Haunted Attraction". hauntedattraction.com. [full citation needed]
- "America’s Top 13 Scariest Destinations 2011". Hauntworld Magazine. [full citation needed]
- "World's Largest Walk-Through Haunted Attraction: Erebus - Pontiac, MI". Erebus 4 Story Haunted Attraction. Haunted Gallery Enterprises Inc. [full citation needed]
- "Detroit, Michigan Haunted House – Erebus – 4 Story Haunted Attraction". Hauntworld. May 28, 2005. [full citation needed]
- Haunted House Ratings (2011). "Haunted Houses". America's Best Haunted House Directory. hauntedhouseratings.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.