Eric Cheng is a Taiwanese American professional photographer specializing in underwater photography. He owns and publishes Wetpixel, an underwater photography website, and is the editor and publisher of Wetpixel Quarterly, a quarterly print magazine dedicated to underwater photography and conservation.
Eric has authored many web journals documenting his trips around the world, and has been published in numerous publications, both in print and on the web. Eric won the animal antics category of the "2005 Nature's Best Photography Competition," which placed his winning image in the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum. Animal antics is also a popular comic made by a child living in West Hills CA. In 2003, he was awarded an Antibes Festival Prize for his work with Wetpixel. Along with Jason Heller, Eric was a co-author of the IMAGES column in Sport Diver Magazine from June, 2007 to April, 2008.
Eric is active as a marine conservationist and is on the Board of Advisors of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. He was head photographer for Operation Musashi, Sea Shepherd's campaign against the Japanese whaling fleet in Antarctica in late 2008 / early 2009, which was also documented by Animal Planet for Whale Wars Season 2.
Aside from lecturing and writing about underwater photography, he is a concert cellist and software engineer. Eric has been seen on stage with Vienna Teng in San Francisco, San Jose, Houston, and New York.
- The Next Eco-Warriors: Eco-Warrior Profile: Eric Cheng. Retrieved June. 18, 2009.
- Nature's Best Photography Awards Winners. (Fall, 2005). Nature's Best Magazine.
- DivePhotoGuide Featured Pro (Spring 2005) DivePhotoGuide Feature
- Butler, Yvonne (2005). The Advanced Digital Photographer's Workbook. Focal Press. ISBN 0-240-80646-8.
- Howard, Dane (2004). The Future of Memories. Microsoft Press.
- The Digital Shootout. Staff and Sponsors. Retrieved Dec. 15, 2005.
- Interview, Dive Portraits. (2004). ScubaCore DVD.
- RedWhale Software. Management. Retrieved Dec. 15, 2005.
- PalmPower. In Tune with Shareware Designer Eric Cheng. Retrieved Dec. 15, 2005.
- Puerta, Cheng, Ou, Min (1999). MOBILE: user-centered interface building. Retrieved Dec. 15, 2005.
- Boston Sea Rovers. 52nd Clinic Workshops. Retrieved May. 9, 2006.
- Boston Sea Rovers. 51st Clinic Workshops. Retrieved May. 9, 2006.
- Sport Diver Magazine. Seaspace 2004 Press Release. Retrieved May. 9, 2006.
- Scuba Diving Magazine. Scuba InTenCity Tour Schedule of Events. Retrieved May. 9, 2006.
- Sea & Sea Underwater Photography. Sea&Sea DEMA 2004 Seminar Schedule. Retrieved May. 9, 2006.
- Interview, DiveFilm Episode 25. (2006). DiveFilm.
- Cheng, Eric and Woolery, Elijah. Letter from the Editor. Wetpixel Quarterly. (September, 2007).
- "Nature's Best 2005 Winners Gallery". 2005. Archived from the original on 2008-04-13. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- Cheng, Eric and Heller, Jason. Ambient Light Photography. Sport Diver Magazine. (July, 2007).
- "Board of Advisors - Sea Shepherd". 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- "Photos - Sea Shepherd". 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-18.