Eric Fryer (baseball)
|Minnesota Twins – No. 26|
|Catcher / Outfielder|
August 26, 1985 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 26, 2011 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through August 4, 2014)
|Runs batted in||7|
High School and College
Fryer was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the tenth round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of Ohio State. Fryer started his pro career with the Helena Brewers in 2007. Fryer spent the 2008 season with the West Virginia Power. On February 4, 2009, Fryer was traded to the New York Yankees in exchange for Chase Wright.
New York Yankees
On June 29, 2009, the Pittsburgh Pirates acquired Fryer, along with Casey Erickson, from the New York Yankees for Eric Hinske. He was called up for the first time by the Pirates on June 25, 2011. Fryer got his first major league hit on July 2, 2011, off Washington Nationals pitcher John Lannan. Fryer was designated for assignment on November 18, 2011. Fryer was promoted to the Pirates on June 26, 2012. He was optioned back to the minors on July 7, 2012, but was called up again on September 1. Fryer was designated for assignment on October 25, 2012. Fryer elected free agency on October 29, 2012. In 16 games with the Pirates over 2 seasons, hit 8-30 with 5 R and 1 SB.
On November 10, 2012, Fryer signed a minor league deal with the Minnesota Twins with an invitation to spring training. He spent the season with the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings. His contract was selected by the Twins on September 9, after Rochester was eliminated from the International League playoffs. He hit his first major-league home run off of Tommy Milone of Oakland, a solo shot in a game the Twins lost 18-3. He hit .385 (5-13) in his 6 games up with the Twins.
He was competing for the back-up catcher role along with Chris Herrmann and Josmil Pinto. He hit 3-11 with 3 RBI in 7 games in Spring Training, and the job was eventually given to Pinto. Fryer began 2014 once again with Rochester.
- "Living The Dream: The Eric Fryer Story and Interview". April 4, 2012.
- Rozell, Kevin (February 4, 2009). "New York Yankees Trade Chase Wright to Milwaukee Brewers for Eric Fryer". Bleacher Report.
- Hoch, Bryan (30 June 2009). "Yanks trade for Hinske, bolster bench".
- Langosch, Jennifer (25 June 2011). "Brown designated; Fryer new No. 2 catcher". MLB.com.
- Biertempfel, Rob (26 June 2011). "Fryer up, Brown down at catcher for Pirates". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- "Pirates set 40-man roster". Pittsburgh Pirates. November 18, 2011.
- "Pirates Claim Two Players, DFA Clement and Fryer". October 25, 2012.
- "Pirates Outright Daniel McCutchen, Jeff Clement, and Eric Fryer". October 29, 2012.
- Bollinger, Rhett (November 10, 2012). "Twins sign reliever Wood, catcher Fryer to Minors deals". MLB.com.
- Stohs, Seth (February 24, 2014). "Catching up with Eric Fryer". TwinsDaily.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)