|W. Eric L. Grimson|
|Born||William Eric Leifur Grimson
Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Occupation||Computer scientist, Chancellor of MIT|
William Eric Leifur Grimson (born 1953) is a Canadian-born computer scientist and Chancellor of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Prior to his appointment as Chancellor in March 2011, Grimson was head of the university's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and the Bernard Gordon Professor of Medical Engineering. He is a native of Estevan, Saskatchewan.
Life and career
Grimson was born in 1953 in Estevan, Saskatchewan where his father, William, was the principal of Estevan Collegiate Institute, the local high school, and his mother an eminent musician and teacher of piano performance and music theory. The family later moved to Regina where he attended the University of Regina, graduating in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and physics. In 1980, he received his PhD in mathematics from MIT. His doctoral dissertation, Computing shape using a theory of human stereo vision, was on computer vision, a field which would become the focus of his research career. An expanded version of the dissertation was published by MIT Press in 1981 as From Images To Surfaces: A Computational Study of the Human Early Vision System.
After completing his PhD, Grimson worked as research scientist the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and joined the university's faculty in 1984. He eventually rose to Bernard Gordon Professor of Medical Engineering and Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. In February 2011, he was appointed Chancellor of MIT, succeeding Phillip Clay, and took up his post the following month. He is a Fellow of both the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Estevan Mercury (14 October 2011). "Q & A with MIT's chancellor".
- University of Regina Alumni Association, Alumni Crowning Achievement Awards Dr. Eric Grimson, BSc'75 (High Honours)
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (July 1984). "Editorial". Vol. PAMI 6, No. 4, p. 385. Retrieved 26 May 2013
- MIT News Office (10 February 2011), Professor Eric Grimson named next chancellor: Current head of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science to succeed Phillip L. Clay, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MIT. W. Eric L. Grimson, Chancellor. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (6 May 2011). "Member Recognitions: May 2011". Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence. Elected AAAI Fellows. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Grimson, W. Eric L. (2001) "Image Guided Surgery" (abstract}. Stanford University, Broad Area Colloquium For AI-Geometry-Graphics-Robotics-Vision