Eric J. Barron
|Eric J. Barron|
|18th President of Pennsylvania State University
May 12, 2014
|16th President of Florida State University|
2010 – April 2, 2014
|Preceded by||T. K. Wetherell|
October 26, 1951 |
|Alma mater||Florida State University (B.S.)
University of Miami (M.S., Ph.D.)
Earth Scientist at NCAR
Eric James Barron (born October 26, 1951) is an American academic and university administrator who is the President-elect of Pennsylvania State University. Previously, he has served as President of Florida State University and Director of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado (USA).
Early life and education
Barron was born on October 26, 1951, in Lafayette, Indiana. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science in geology from Florida State University in 1972. He later obtained two postgraduate degrees in oceanography, a Master of Science in 1976 and a Ph.D. in 1980, both from the University of Miami.
From 1980 to 1985, Barron was employed by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado, as a post-doctoral research fellow and scientist. He subsequently was an associate professor at the University of Miami from 1985 to 1986. Beginning in 1986, Barron served as a faculty member at the Pennsylvania State University in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, the dean of which he served as until leaving Penn State in 2006 to become dean of the Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin. There, he held the Jackson Chair in Earth System Science. In 2008, Barron left the University of Texas to become director of the NCAR, where he served until being named President of Florida State University in December 2009.
Barron served as President of FSU until stepping down on April 2, 2014, after being named the 18th President of Penn State University in February 2014. He is slated to succeed Rodney Erickson in that position on May 12, 2014.
Barron is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and has served as chair of numerous National Science Foundation, NASA, and United States National Research Council (NRC) committees and panels, including the NRC Climate Research Committee, the NRC Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, and NASA's Earth Observing System Science Executive Committee.
- "Penn State names Eric J. Barron president". Penn State University. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "UCAR Trustee Candidate Eric J. Barron". University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Eric J. Barron Curriculum Vitae". Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Oppel, Richard A., Jr. (17 February 2014). "Penn State Looks South in Naming New President". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Bio of Penn State's next president, Eric Barron". Centre Daily Times. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Brooks, Nicole. "University trustees move forward with presidential transition". Florida State University. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Dawson, Mike (19 February 2014). "Florida State accepts resignation of incoming Penn State President Eric Barron". Centre Daily Times. Retrieved 3 April 2014.