Eric Johnson (tight end)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Date of birth:September 15, 1979|
|Place of birth: Needham, Massachusetts|
|NFL Draft: 2001 / Round: 7 / Pick: 224|
|Debuted in 2001 for the San Francisco 49ers|
|Roster status: Inactive|
Career NFL statistics
Eric Maxwell Johnson (born September 15, 1979) is a former American football tight end in the National Football League. He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round of the 2001 NFL Draft. He played college football at Yale.
High school and college career 
Johnson attended Needham High School and Belmont Hill School in Massachusetts. He went on to Yale University, where he played wide receiver. He caught 21 receptions for 244 yards in Yale's come-from-behind victory against Harvard in the 1999 Harvard-Yale Game, including the game-winning touchdown catch.
San Francisco 49ers 
Johnson was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round of the 2001 NFL Draft. When healthy, he was a contributor to the 49ers passing game. However, he missed all of 2003 with an injury and missed all of 2005 with an injury as well. In 2004, he led the 49ers in receiving with 82 catches for 825 yards and two touchdowns. During the 2006 season, Johnson split time with tight end Vernon Davis, the team's first-round draft pick.
New Orleans Saints 
Johnson signed a one-year contract with the New Orleans Saints in 2007. He was re-signed by the team on March 14, 2008. On July 31, 2008, the Saints released him.
Personal life 
In October 2009, Johnson separated from his wife Kern Johnson after five years of marriage. Johnson filed for divorce in January 2010. In May 2010, Johnson began dating singer Jessica Simpson. Johnson's divorce was finalized on October 7, 2010, ending the marriage. On November 14, 2010, Simpson announced that she and Johnson were engaged to be married.
After much media speculation, Simpson confirmed on October 31, 2011 that she and Johnson were expecting their first child. On March 7, 2012, Simpson announced that the couple was expecting a baby girl. Simpson gave birth to daughter Maxwell Drew on May 1, 2012. On November 29, 2012, it was announced that Simpson was pregnant with her second child, a son, due the following summer.
- "Jessica Simpson's Beau Is Officially Divorced". People. October 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- Rennie Dyball and K.C. Baker (July 5, 2010). "Jessica Simpson Dating Ex-NFL Player". People. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Jessica Simpson's Boyfriend Finalizes Divorce". Us Weekly. October 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Jessica Simpson Engaged to Eric Johnson". People. November 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Jessica Simpson Confirms That She Is Pregnant!". WUSN-FM/US99.5.
- "Pregnant Jessica Simpson Gets Nude for Elle, Reveals Baby’s Sex". Yahoo.com.
- "It's a Girl for Jessica Simpson!". People. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-05-01.