||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
Eric Kupper is an American keyboardist, arranger, songwriter, remix artist, DJ and record producer of French descent. Playing in bands in his formative years, he got his real start in the mid-1980s working as a keyboardist, guitarist, and songwriter for such producer/remixers as David Morales, Frankie Knuckles, Arthur Baker, Mark Kamins, Justin Strauss, Peter Rauhofer, and Richie Jones to name a few. Since 1986 he has played on, remixed, and/or produced over 1700 records for artists spanning all contemporary musical genres. His work in the mid-to-late 1980s/early 1990s, especially his work with Def Mix Productions, is considered to be part of the foundation for house music as it exists today. He released an album under his own name, From the Deep, in 1995.
As a remixer he has worked with Ayumi Hamasaki, Garbage, Usher, Alicia Keys, BT, Whitney Houston, Marianne Faithfull, Goldfrapp, Cher, Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Sheryl Crow, Lenny Kravitz, Kylie Minogue, Korn, Moloko, Smash Mouth, New Order, Yoko Ono, Dido, Brandy, Depeche Mode, Curtis Mayfield, Brand New Heavies, Robert Palmer, Afrika Bambaata & Soulsonic Force, Kate Bush, 808 State, Jessica Simpson, Anastacia, Donna Summer, PM Dawn, and Miley Cyrus, among numerous others.
Kupper has also worked as a producer and/or mixer for many projects outside of the realm of dance music. Artists include John Wesley Harding, Julee Cruise, Roisin Murphy, Coolbone, Drill, PM Dawn, The Butterflies of Love, Saint Etienne, Gaz Brookfield, McQueen, Lovebites, Ofra Haza, Jaymes Bullet, Laura Pausini, and Gloria Estefan.
He has made 3 artist albums under the name "Eric Kupper presents K-Scope." The most recent was called Electrikiss released in January 2009 after a ten-year hiatus. Kupper also started the Hysteria Records label.
As a DJ, Kupper has played and continues to perform all around the world. He was one of the first 5 Hed Kandi DJs before leaving them in 2006.
- Bidder, Sean (1999) "Eric Kupper", in The Rough Guide to House Music, Rough Guides, ISBN 978-1-85828-432-3, p. 1994-45
- Paoletta, Michael (2006) "Inside Track: Manson Snags Kupper", Billboard, April 22, 2006, p. 90
- Paoletta, Michael (2003) "Beat Box", Billboard, February 22, 2003, p. 24
- Paoletta, Michael (2001) "The Beat Box Hot Plate", Billboard, October 20, 2001, p. 29
- Paoletta, Michael (2005) "Dance", Billboard, January 29, 2005, p. 28
- Paoletta, Michael (2002) "Dies Paid, Anastacia Reapproaches U.S.", Billboard, June 1, 2002, p. 18
- Flick, Larry (1996) "Dance Trax", Billboard, October 5, 1996, p. 30