Eric Lionel Mascall
Eric Lionel Mascall OGS (12 December 1905 – 14 February 1993) was a leading theologian and priest in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England. He was a philosophical exponent of the Thomist tradition and was Professor of Historical Theology at King's College London (in the University of London). His name was styled as E.L. Mascall on most of his writings.
After a period as a schoolmaster (before theological college) Mascall was ordained priest in 1933 in Southwark Cathedral, serving his first curacy at St Andrew's Stockwell. In 1935 he crossed the river to St Matthew's Westminster in the Diocese of London. Subsequently he taught theology at Lincoln Theological College and Christ Church, Oxford. In 1962 he became Professor of Historical Theology at King's College London and followed this appointment by a period as Canon Theologian of Truro Cathedral.
Biographical memoir by H .P. Owen; published in Proceedings of the British Academy, 1984, pp. 409–418.
- The Blessed Virgin Mary: essays (1963)
- Christ, the Christian and the Church : A Study of the Incarnation and its Consequences (1946)
- Christian Theology and Natural Science : Some Questions in their Relations 1956 Bampton Lectures (1965)
- The Christian Universe (1966)
- The convocations and South India : what did the convocations decide, and how does their decision affect the catholicity of the Church of England? (1955)
- Corpus Christi : essays on the church and the Eucharist. (1953)
- Corpus Christi; essays on the church and the Eucharist. 2nd ed. (1965)
- Existence and analog. (1967)
- Grace and glory. (1961)
- He who is; a study in traditional theism. (1943)
- The importance of being human. (1958)
- Nature and supernature. (1976)
- The openness of being: natural theology today. (1971)
- The recovery of unity; a theological approach. (1958)
- The secularization of Christianity: an analysis and a critique. (1965)
- Theology and the future. (1968)
- Theology and the gospel of Christ : an essay in reorientation. (1977)
- The Triune God : an ecumenical study (1986)
- Via Media (1956)
- Whatever happened to the human mind? : essays in Christian orthodoxy (1980)
- Women priests? (1977)
- Words and images; a study in theological discourse (1957)
- Worship, its social significance (1939)
- (Ely Theological College opened in 1876 and closed in 1964, see History of Guyhirn)
- Mascall (1992)
- Proceedings of the British Academy, 1984, pp. 409-418.
- Mascall, Rev. Canon; Eric Lionel (b. Seaford, East Sussex 12 December 1905 - d. 14 February 1993). Who's Who 2006 and Who Was Who 1897-2005 (2005).
- Hebblethwaite, Brian ‘Mascall, Eric Lionel (1905–1993)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004
- Mascall, E. L. (1992) Saraband: the memoirs of E. L. Mascall. Leominster: Gracewing
- Mascall's essay Women Priests?
- The Openness of Being, 1970-71 Gifford Lectures in Edinburgh.
- The Christian Universe, by Eric Mascall (The Boyle Lecture, 1965.)