Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting
Choupo-Moting at Nürnberg in 2010.
|Full name||Jean-Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting|
|Date of birth||23 March 1989|
|Place of birth||Altona, Hamburg, West Germany|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2003–2004||FC St. Pauli|
|2007–2011||Hamburger SV II||31||(1)|
|2009–2010||→ 1. FC Nürnberg (loan)||25||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting (German pronunciation: [ɛˈʀɪk maksˈɪm ˈtʃʊ.pøː ˈmɔ.tɪŋ]; born 23 March 1989) is a Cameroonian-German professional footballer who plays for as a striker for FC Schalke 04 and the Cameroon national football team.
- 1 Club career
- 2 International career
- 3 Club career statistics
- 4 International career statistics
- 5 Playing style
- 6 Honours
- 7 Personal life
- 8 References
- 9 External links
1. FSV Mainz 05
On 18 May 2011, Choupo-Moting signed a three-year contract with Bundesliga side 1. FSV Mainz 05 on a free transfer from Hamburg. Choupo-Moting enjoyed a successful debut season with the club, scoring ten times in the Bundesliga. However, Choupo-Moting missed most of the 2012–13 season through injury and was therefore unable to make an impact.
On 5 July 2014, after Choupo-Moting's contract ran out at 1. FSV Mainz 05, FC Schalke 04 confirmed that Choupo-Moting signed a three-year professional contract with them until 30 June 2017, The transfer was reported as a free transfer by Schalke's sport and communications manager Horst Heldt. Choupo-Moting was assigned the squad number 13.
Choupo-Moting has a German passport and represented his country of birth and his mothers country Germany at the 2008 UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualification for the 2008 UEFA European Under-19 Championship and at the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification for the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship.
Cameroon eligibility investigation
The Tunisian Football Federation which governs the Tunisia national football team had questioned FIFA on whether Maxim Choupo-Moting fulfilled nationality criteria to play for Cameroon. "With regards to the protest lodged by the Tunisian Football Federation in relation to the eligibility of Choupo-Moting representing Cameroon, FIFA had communicated to the Tunisia Football Federation that no breach of the FIFA regulations has been committed by the Cameroon Football Federation," a FIFA spokesman told BBC Sport. Choupo-Moting played for both the Germany national youth football teams and the Germany national under-21 football team, including being born in Germany and growing up in Germany with German parentage, but had his switch of national allegiance approved by FIFA before representing Cameroon. The Tunisian Football Federation's complaint came during the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Third Round despite Choupo-Moting playing at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The Tunisian Football Federation were the benefits of a FIFA ruling on ineligible players when the Federação Caboverdiana de Futebol which governs the Cape Verde national football team were deducted three points from the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Second Round for using a player who should have been suspended for the match.
On 11 May 2010, Choupo-Moting earned his first call-up for the Cameroon national football team and represented Cameroon at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Choupo-Moting was also called up for the Cameroon national football team's world cup squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Club career statistics
|Hamburger SV II||Regionalliga||2006–07||12||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||12||1|||
|Mainz 05 II||2012–13||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Last updated: 7 December 2014|
International career statistics
|Cameroon national team|
|Last updated: 23 June 2014|
|1.||5 June 2010||Belgrade, Serbia||Serbia||3–4||3–4||Friendly|
|2.||4 September 2010||Belle Vue, Mauritius||Mauritius||3–1||3–1||2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|3.||3 September 2011||Yaoundé, Cameroon||Mauritius||5–0||5–0||2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|4.||7 October 2011||Kinshasa, DR Congo||DR Congo||3–2||3–2||2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|5.||29 February 2012||Bissau, Guinea-Bissau||Guinea-Bissau||1–0||1–0||2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|6.||26 May 2012||Amanvillers, France||Guinea||1–0||2–1||Friendly|
|7.||26 May 2012||Amanvillers, France||Guinea||2–0||2–1||Friendly|
|8.||2 June 2012||Yaoundé, Cameroon||DR Congo||1–0||1–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|9.||10 June 2012||Sfax, Tunisia||Libya||1–1||1–2||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|10.||26 May 2014||Kufstein, Austria||Macedonia||2–0||2–0||Friendly|
|11.||29 May 2014||Kufstein, Austria||Paraguay||1–2||1–2||Friendly|
|12.||2 June 2014||Mönchengladbach, Germany||Germany||2–2||2–2||Friendly|
Choupo-Moting is often stationed as a striker or on the left wing. He is a composed finisher and possesses purposeful and powerful dribbling ability, comfortable on either left or right flanks or through the middle of the pitch.
- Schiller, Kai (27 December 2010). "Maxim Choupo-Moting: Heimspiel in Ottensen" [Maxim Choupo-Moting: Match in Ottensen]. abendblatt.de (in German) (Hamburger Abendblatt). Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Maxim Choupo-Moting". Fifa.com. FIFA. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Choupo-Moting, Eric Maxim" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Crocker, Sam (13 June 2014). "Everything you need to know about... Eric Choupo-Moting". fourfourtwo.com (FourFourTwo). Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Mainz 05 verpflichtet Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting" (in German). Rhein-Zeitung. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Choupo-Moting, Eric Maxim" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Moody, Oli (6 February 2014). "Bundesliga stars at the World Cup – Mainz’ Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting". bundesligafanatic.com. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Choupo-Moting will miss the season opener". 1. FSV Mainz 05. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "S04 sign Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting". schalke04.de. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Cavell, Nick; Hughes, Ian (28 November 2013). "Tunisia appeal over Cameroon players rejected by Fifa". bbc.co.uk. BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting profile at Soccerway
- "Maxim Choupo-Moting". National Football Teams. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Choupo-Moting erhält Fritz-Walter-Medaille" [Choupo-Moting receives the Fritz Walter Medal]. focus.de (in German). Focus. 4 September 2007. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Choupo wurde Papa!" [Choupo became a Dad!]. bild.de (in German) (Bild). 18 October 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting at schalke04.de (German)
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting at National-Football-Teams.com