||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Birth name||Eric Scott Melvin|
|Also known as||Melvin|
|Born||July 9, 1966|
|Genres||Punk rock, ska punk, skate punk|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, accordion, bass|
|Labels||Fat Wreck Chords|
|Associated acts||NOFX, Punk Rock Karaoke, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes|
|Gibson Les Paul
Eric Scott Melvin (born July 9, 1966) is an American musician and the rhythm guitarist in the California punk band NOFX. He has been in the band from its beginnings in the early 1980s to the present day. Though most recognized for his ability to play the guitar, Melvin can also play the accordion.
In the first episode of the NOFX world tour show on the Fuse TV Network, Mike "Fat Mike" Burkett said that "over the years I've gotten a lot better," implying that Melvin still continues to play at the same level he did when the band first started.
Melvin sings backup vocals on most NOFX songs and wrote guitar riffs on NOFX songs such as the intro for "Seeing Double at the Triple Rock." His vocal style is called the "Mel Yell."
Melvin also plays in Punk Rock Karaoke with Steve Soto, Derek O'Brien and Greg Hetson where the motto is "We Play... You Sing!" On Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' tour of Europe in 2007, Melvin filled in for Fat Mike on bass. He recently got married. Melvin is Jewish.
Albums with NOFX
- 1985 Maximum Rocknroll
- 1988 Liberal Animation
- 1989 S&M Airlines
- 1991 Ribbed
- 1992 The Longest Line
- 1992 White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean
- 1994 Punk in Drublic
- 1995 I Heard They Suck Live!!
- 1996 Heavy Petting Zoo
- 1997 So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes
- 1999 The Decline
- 2000 Pump Up the Valuum
- 2002 45 or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough To Go On Our Other Records
- 2003 The War on Errorism
- 2006 Wolves in Wolves' Clothing
- 2007 They've Actually Gotten Worse Live!
- 2009 Coaster
- 2012 Self Entitled
- The NOFX album White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean was originally going to be named White Trash, Two Kikes and a Spic (Melvin and Mike are both Jewish and Hefe is Hispanic) but Melvin's mother was offended and threatened to tell his grandfather, so they changed it.
- Is a big fan of science fiction novels and has a tattoo reading 'Don't Panic' on the back of his neck, a tribute to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Used to own a popular coffee shop on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood called Melvin's.