Eric Murray (bridge)
Eric R. Murray (born 1928) is a Canadian contract bridge player and co-founder of the Canadian Bridge Federation (CBF). He and his long-time regular partner Sami Kehela are considered two of the best Canadian players in the history of the game. The Eric R. Murray Trophy, named in his honour, is awarded to the open team representing Canada in the quadrennial World Team Olympiad (continued after 2004 as part of the World Mind Sports Games).
Between 1962 and 1974, Murray placed second in four Bermuda Bowls, three times with Kehela. Unique among world players, Murray and Kehela also represented their country as a partnership in every one of the first six World Team Olympiads, from Turin in 1960 to Valkenburg in 1980. Together they won the Life Master Men's Pairs, the Life Master Pairs, the Vanderbilt, and the Spingold Trophy three times. They were also runners-up in the American Contract Bridge League (ACBL) 1969 Blue Ribbon Pairs.
Murray and Agnes Gordon won the ACBL's premier annual Mixed Pairs tournament in 1963. Their score in the final session, 506.5 matchpoints of 650 top, or 78%, is the highest single-session score in the history of national-level ACBL pairs competition (to 2009).
In Chicago at the 1965 Nationals (thrice-annual 10-day meets now called North American Bridge Championships), Murray led a group of Canadian organizers and enthusiasts to create the Canadian Bridge Federation. Initial meetings were held in Murray's home and the organization ran its first national final in Winnipeg in September 1967.
Murray was inducted into the ACBL Hall of Fame in 2001 along with Kehela and into the CBF Hall of Fame in 2010. As part of the ACBL 75th anniversary celebration in 2012, he was ranked the 30th most influential personality in the organization history. He lives in Toronto, where he maintains an active law practice. He is a barrister and solicitor.
During the Bermuda Bowl scandal of 1975 when two Italian players were caught passing information by tapping toes, Murray sent a telegram to the USA team saying he was available to play as an expert player. And he noted, "I wear a size 13 shoe."
- ACBL Hall of Fame, 2001
- Canadian Bridge Federation Hall of Fame, 2010
- North American Bridge Championships (14)
- von Zedtwitz Life Master Pairs (1) 1969 
- Rockwell Mixed Pairs (1) 1963 
- Wernher Open Pairs (2) 1954, 1955 
- Nail Life Master Open Pairs (1) 1963 
- Vanderbilt (2) 1961, 1970 
- Marcus Cup (1) 1959
- Mitchell Board-a-Match Teams (1) 1962 
- Chicago Mixed Board-a-Match (2) 1956, 1962 
- Spingold (3) 1964, 1965, 1968 
- North American Bridge Championships
- Hughes, Roy (2007). Canada's Bridge Warriors: Eric Murray and Sami Kehela. Toronto: Master Point Press. ISBN 1-897106-21-1. OCLC 77549916.
- "Eric R. Murray Trophy". Canadian Bridge Federation (CBF). Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Mr Eric Murray of Canada. Player Master Point History. WBF Master Points (wbfmasterpoints.org). Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Mr Sami Kehela of Canada. Player Master Point History. WBF Master Points. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- ACBL tournament results: Kaplan Blue Ribbon Pairs.[dead link]
- "Bridge: Remembering Agnes Gordon, Master of the Tough Choice". Philip Alder. The New York Times. July 17, 2009. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "A Short History of the Canadian Bridge Federation". CBF History. CBF. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Induction by Year". Hall of Fame. ACBL. Retrieved 2014-11-16.
- Manley, Brent (February 2012). "The Top 52 Personalities that shaped the game [part 2]". Bridge Bulletin (Horn Lake, MS: ACBL) 78 (2): 24. ISSN 1089-6376.
- "Murray, Eric". Hall of Fame. ACBL. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "List of Previous Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-06-18. p. 6. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "List of Previous Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-03-25. p. 8. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Wernher Open Pairs Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-07-22. p. 4. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Life Master Open Pairs Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2013-11-29. p. 4. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "List of Previous Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-03-24. p. 6. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Mitchell BAM Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2013-12-01. p. 8. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "List of Previous Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-07-24. p. 14. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "List of Previous Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2014-07-21. p. 12. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Blue Ribbon Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 7. p. 5. Retrieved 2014-10-16. Check date values in:
- "Reisinger Winners". American Contract Bridge League. 2013-12-06. p. 6. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- Citation at the ACBL Hall of Fame – with video interview
- Eric Murray international record at the World Bridge Federation.
- Edgar Kaplan comments on the Kehela-Murray partnership on YouTube in an interview with Audrey Grant
- ACBL Interview of Eric Murray on YouTube (audio-video)
- ACBL Interview of Kehela on YouTube (audio-video)